Spreading out the aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
There seems to be some debate about how to manage aggression in the tank. I have a 55 gal tank I would like to set up with mbuna cichlids, and I have been told and read in a number of places that the best way to keep aggressive fish is to crowd them to spread out the aggression.
I have seen tanks set up this way that the inhabitants seem healthy and happy, it just seems wrong to me though. I have always kept cichlids in smaller numbers following the 1 male to every 3-4 females rule and lots of hiding places. I would love to have a tank with 25 to 30 cichlids but not at the expense of stressed out fish. Was also recently told that if you don't plan to breed them... Keeping all males would keep aggression down also.

Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences

Overstocking will only work to a certain extent. You will still get the occasional prick fish that decides he/she is gonna beat the hell out of a fish. You'll still need to work on a compatible stock list and eliminating females will greatly reduce aggression. The one thing you'll need to keep in mind though is an overstocked mbuna tank in most instances will get 2 weekly 50% or more WCs to combat the high parameters caused by overstocking.

I figured additional water changes would be a must. What about additional filtration? I have a fluval 405 that I can use, my guess is that wouldn't be enough.

I do 50%-60% weekly on my mbuna tanks and have no probs with water quality. For filtration I run an Emperor 400 and a Penguin 200 on my 55s.

I target 15-20 fish in 55s, depending on the size of the species. There comes a point where the fish are so crammed in there that I don't like the way the tank looks, and as stated overcrowding only works to a point.

WYite

Thanks for all the good info!! I think I will give it a shot. There are so many interesting cichlids I have never kept before that I might be able if I don't have to worrie so much about crowding. Will look for some advice for stocking compatibility when the tank is ready to go.

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom