Sprouts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leighton79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello there.

I've just started to put together my 1st saltwater tank, started to add the first pieces of live rock and one of the pieces has these small sprouts coming from it, there maybe 20 or so on the piece of rock and I am wondering if it's good or bad stuff, as I am a complete noob I'm seeking the advice of all the experienced folks on here about if I should leave it or remove the rock if it's undesirable.

Any here's a pic, sorry about the quality, iPhone camera.

img_1374183_0_c1e755a332a608da61c52b5b04384a30.jpg

Cheers in advance people.

nothing bad looks like that as far as i know. i don't know from your picture exactly what they are but i wouldn't worry about them. does anything protrude from them at any time? web-like things? maybe fans perhaps?

Not that I've seen, there is a small ring at the bottom of each little stick, almost like a doughnut, but I've not seen anything come from the top.

I've also discovered these on the other side of the same piece of rock.

They look like eggs of some description to me, however as I say I'm new to this fascinating hobby. There are several clutches of them at various points, nooks and crannies.

img_1375430_0_5c01c693ed077c6859d1ccccf214330b.jpg

Any ideas folks?

Thankyou.

those are bubble algae i would remove them asap also try not to pop them cause they can spread try to twist them off

I was just skimming through that very article, the only thing is, the bubbles are extremely small and as most of them are recessed in said nooks and crannies it will be difficult to extract them.

I may just toss the piece of rock out and examine future pieces that I buy with a fine toothcomb to not repeat the same error.

Thankyou for the input sir.

Back
Top Bottom