SPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125 mixed reef tank. I have it for last 6 years. Im pretty happy overall. My only concern is that my SPS grow so slow.
Particularly pick 1. All other corals always been great. Even some SPS still grows good, but some on pick 1 really slow. They have good color. Do they need high ALK? Only issues I can find is ALK. around 6 dKH or PH around 8. Good flow 4 Powerheads. MG- 1260. Phosfate-0 Nitrate-5. Thanks for all help.

Attachments

• 20140116_164011.jpg
    20140116_164011.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 154
  • 20140116_164229.jpg
    20140116_164229.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20140116_164250.jpg
    20140116_164250.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20140116_164309.jpg
    20140116_164309.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 149
Your sps look fine to me. Overall, sps do grow slowly since they consume mostly calcium and alk to build their skeleton. So to visit your alk question, it might be a tad low...what is your calcium level at?

Bice tank you have there! As for the corals growing slow i dont know, im not very knowledgable in that area.

I agree with hank, coral looks good, and SPS grow slow. Also curious on Ca. What kind of lighting do you have? Do you dose anything?

I've noticed a significant growth increase in my sps growth since I've started dosing alk and calc. My calc was always in an ok range but my alk had been getting down around 6. I dosed back up to 9 and have been keeping it there and have seen great results.

Thanks. Calcium is around 420.
Your sps look fine to me. Overall, sps do grow slowly since they consume mostly calcium and alk to build their skeleton. So to visit your alk question, it might be a tad low...what is your calcium level at?

I have MH 150w and T5s combo. I dose ALK and Calcium manually, so not really regular....sometimes I forget...
I agree with hank, coral looks good, and SPS grow slow. Also curious on Ca. What kind of lighting do you have? Do you dose anything?

I think overall the tank looks good. To really bring it to the next level you might consider bumping the alk up a bit and adding autodosers. Reefs thrive on consistency and with autodosers after a week or two of tweaking you can get your Ca and Alk constant. BRS has some decent dosing pumps for a good price. It would be a small investment in the big scheme of things.

Nice looking tank. I agree with the group of posters before me. Dosing your alk will help with growth and fort is right on about the dosing pump, consistency is key.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys. I will look into those autodosers at BRS. Never had one before. Are they come as a set up or I have to buy parts? So when I mix Sachem "Reef Builder" with RODI water in the container then autodoser will dose ALK from that container. Then I have to make sure container is never empty, right? Sorry for stupid question. I should check " you tube"

Yes and yes. I'd recommend BRS for the solutions too. They have some great videos on how to set everything up.

Back
Top Bottom