Staghorn algae - Causes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a problem for a couple weeks now with staghorn algae. and a smaller problem with beard algae on my gravel. The beard algae first appeared after I made some plant free space in the front of my tank. The staghorn algae sits on the filter outtake, the breeder net and various plants.

I did a lot of research about staghorn algae but did not find what could cause it.

The tank does not get direct sunlight, the lights are on for 12 hours, I have pressurized CO2 and so forth as you can see in my signature. I make water changes once a week about 50%, my plants are growing very well (have to prune them about twice a week), but my algae does too.

So what can I do to get rid of it?

I've never personally dealt with staghorn, but most all algae blooms are directly caused by a nutrient imbalance.
Check nitrates and phosphates, and if possible, validate your test kits to make sure they aren't starting to get inaccurate due to age/expiration of the kits.

you also mention beard algae, which in my experience, is cuased by phosphates being too high for nitrate level (losing that 10:1 ratio), so that's where I'd start...by focusing on phosphates.

everything else sounds fine...I'm assuming your CO2 levels are up around 30ppm?

I had terrible trouble with staghorn algae.I found no problems with my nutrients since I wasn't dosing any at that point but CO2.I never really found any solutions to this type of algae but tearing down the tank which I did and I haven't seen it since.But a possibility is a deficienty of nutrients,since I wasn't dosing any ferts when I got it and when I did start dosing ferts I haven't seen it since.

not dosing can get the NO3:PO4 out of ballance as much as not having accurate readings when dosing.. theoridicly..
if your NO3:PO4 is in ballance after double checking your test kit results...
stable CO2 levels seem to have a hand in this.. fluctuation can help cause it..
stable high CO2 levels as well.. (25-30ppm constanly?)
then.. reduse Iron suplementation..
too much iron has been reported to help this move along as well..
HTH

Back
Top Bottom