Stainless sheet bottom replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary503

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone tried replacing the bottom of a tank with 316 stainless sheet? I was thinking of replacing a sheet of 3/4 glass with 1/8" 316 stainless sheet with the edges bent up 2" to form a pan shape. Then setting the glass sides in with silicone just like a traditional all glass aquarium. I know old tanks used slate bottoms. But why not one piece of stainless I have made a stainless top frame for my 46 gal bowfront tank after the original plastic frame broke. With a stainless bottom I could easily weld in pipe bungs for the overflow with no risk of leaking.

With a squash block in the middle, could just work? Not sure how cost effective that is? Something tells me the piece is already sitting in your shop and you need a quarantine project though...

Your partly right I have the sheet left over but I dont have a large enough break to bend it. But do know someone that dose. I can do all the welding myself. I was more worried about thermal expansion between the glass and stainless causing sealing issues.

Your partly right I have the sheet left over but I dont have a large enough break to bend it. But do know someone that dose. I can do all the welding myself. I was more worried about thermal expansion between the glass and stainless causing sealing issues.
Good one?? I would think it would be minimal as youd be maintaining a constant temp. As long as the metal was the same temp when installed. Leaving a 1/16" spacing for silicone/expansion/contraction. Pretty glass behaves the same, not sure to what degree? People use plywood and glass to make large tanks and plywood def. Moves more than ss.

Back
Top Bottom