Stalled cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaris

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been cycling my 10g for 3 weeks. I've had nitrItes present for 18 days and at or way above 5.0 for 16 days. I've been dosing 4ppm ammonia everyday because it would go to 0 in less than 18 hours. At one point the nitrIte reading wasn't purple or dark fuchsia. It was frickin' AQUAMARINE! It would turn dark fuchsia and then end up on bright aquamarine within the 5 minute period. (API test)

I've added plants and done 2 50% water changes, didn't dose ammonia for 3 days, now dose ammonia at 1-2ppm, haven't tested tank in 5 days. Today my nitrIte reading was still 5.0ppm. I'm frustrated. I keep adding ammonia to not starve the bacteria who in turn keep pumping out the nitrItes with no bacteria to eat it.

Which one of these would help me and/or which do you suggest I try:
1.) add more plants
2.) add "fresh" seed from an established tank (I did this at the beginning and I think that's why I got nitrItes so soon. I've since removed it since it obviously wasn't helping anymore)
3.) add fish flakes
4.) BioSpira
5.) just keep dosing ammonia and wait (but you must promise me it will finish cycling)

I was being very patient until my nitrIte kit tested aquamarine. I put the test drops in the tube like usual, shook it, it immediately turned dark fuchsia, and then I sat it down, disappointed. 5 minutes later I decided to hold it up to the test card anyway and it was light purple! I jumped up in excitement and did a victory dance! FINALLY!! And while I was testing a new tube for nitrAtes, I looked at the nitrIte test: aquamarine? It faded? What.....does.....it.....mean? I tested again and again it faded. I later deduced that the test could no longer read my nitrItes: they were off the charts. I cried.

attachment.php

i had this exact same thing happen to me. you need to keep dosing ammonia but drop it to .50-1.0 ppm. you are 1-2 weeks away from having a completely cycled tank. hang in there it will happen. i promise

It took me 2 months to cycle with fish, I have no idea how some people say that it can be done in 4 weeks.

Keep being patient

Adding more plants, from an established tank, adds to your scape and also adds more bacteria.

I would try and kill two birds with one stone.

At this point I would do a 50% change to get the nitrites down some what. You have enough bacteria established you just need to get the nitrites down. After the change add some ammonia to keep the good guys fed.

Thanks for the support, guys. I was needing the reassurance. ^_^

My patience level has been renewed and I will continue to wait.

Really, thanks. ^_____^

Personally if I had Nitrites that were that high off the scale, I'd probalby do a 90% water change. This should improve the chance of getting the Nitrites down to readable levels.

when mine got that high it took 2 50% changes then a 75-80% change. after that it didnt do anything for a week or 2 and i started to worry. but then suddenly i got nitrates and my nitrites dropped and my cycle was done. it was very confusing and the only thing i could guess was i was using to much ammonia. i cut back on the ammonia to much smaller doses and after a bit it unstalled and finished.

My Eco-complete is scheduled to be here on Monday and I was planning on doing a 100% change making sure I keep the plants and rocks soaked in tank water. I'm going to my mother-in-law's on Saturday and I might swipe something from her tank.

Thanks ^^

I would just try a product like Tetra Safestart or something. (I got a tiny bottle of Kent's Eco-Complete just to see if it worked- added it with fish- and I never had an ammonia spike over .5... the bottle was $4 or something. Instructions are to double-dose the first day then add daily for a bit.)

I would just try a product like Tetra Safestart or something. (I got a tiny bottle of Kent's Eco-Complete just to see if it worked- added it with fish- and I never had an ammonia spike over .5... the bottle was $4 or something. Instructions are to double-dose the first day then add daily for a bit.)

I'm not cycling with fish.

I know you're not cycling with fish- but if you're really impatient (like me... but it sounds like you aren't) I was guessing it would be possible to give the cycle a little nudging.

if anything you can add a small pinch of fish food. it has something in it that helps the bactira grow.

Hi Alaris.

I agree that you certainly are close.

How is this for an idea?

When you go to mom-in-law's house, buy her a new filter media (pad). She will love you for it. Then take her old pad, put it in a plastic container with her tank water. When you get it home, put it in a "panty hose" or mesh bag and hang it inside your tank.

Just a thought.

Bob

When you go to mom-in-law's house, buy her a new filter media (pad). She will love you for it. Then take her old pad, put it in a plastic container with her tank water. When you get it home, put it in a "panty hose" or mesh bag and hang it inside your tank.

Thanks Bob ^_^

That would have worked a couple weeks ago since she has both a biowheel and UGF. But now her tank is infested with BBA and she's tearing down her tank and adding some chems and meds (guy at Petco told her to). I believe she'll be needing whatever bacteria survives for herself.

Ain't it great, my bro-in-law, Hogie, bought a 55g, built and painted a stand and canopy, had 80lbs of rock and equipment shipped, constructed a sump/pump/refugium, and cycled his tank in 1 week with 2 raw shrimp all within the time that my tank has been cycling. He now has cute clownfish and I still have nitrItes. I guess that's SW for ya. :uzi:

Hang in there my firend. When I first saw NitrItes the NitrAtes came very quickly and I was done within a week.

If you feel yourself start to get "antsy" then start reading a good murder/mystery book. And before you know it your tank will be cycled, and then you can skip to the last page and find out who dun it!

Bob

Hang in there my firend. When I first saw NitrItes the NitrAtes came very quickly and I was done within a week.

If you feel yourself start to get "antsy" then start reading a good murder/mystery book. And before you know it your tank will be cycled, and then you can skip to the last page and find out who dun it!

Bob

LOL Actually I'm reading a good fantasy story and I'm almost finished with the second book in the series of three.

I try not to test the tank more than once a day, but my husband is convinced he can make it cycle with his optimistic mind power and therefore pesters me to test it after he comes home from work, before he goes to bed, and again when he wakes up. It's cute, but dissapointing. ^^;;

Hey Alaris.

When the tank finally cycles, make sure to give the hubby the credit for it.

Us males have big egos!

Thanks,

Bob

Back
Top Bottom