Stalled Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Test results. My nitrate reading is lower. I may not have shaken it well enough. Struggling with that....
IMG_8767.jpg

At least you have nitrates have you added something new to tank since you started your cycle
Wow your nitrites is high

Yes. It's Topfish brand gravel that I got from petsmart. I very thoroughly rinsed it along with everything else in my tank prior to setup.

Do you have a another tank that's been running for awhile
What kind of media is the canister filter
What temp is your heater on

No, unfortunately I do not have another tank nor access to one from a friend. No one I know has a tank.

The filter isn't a canister one. It's one that hangs on the side. It has the foam, carbon, and biomax in it that came with it. The heater is currently set on 78 as I've read that a slightly higher temp is good for the bacteria growth.

I've had tanks before when I was younger, but always fancy and/or fantail goldfish. This is really my first tropical aquarium. I had never heard of cycling a tank prior to researching the setup of this tank.

I would watch the ammonia
Wait until the ammonia is gone then test for nitrites
Then dose one last time once both ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm

I believe I am in a similar situation. I am going to try and wait it out to see what happens. Any luck with your tank?

No :( I've been trying to just dose my tank with very small amounts of ammonia (to <=1ppm) once a week just to maintain but I'm trying not to add to the nitrites. Still at ~25ppm. Trying to wait it out but it's frustrating.

How big is your tank? What are your levels at?

Every tank every cycle is different. But four or five weeks isnt a long time imo. Sure some one will come along and say they did it in 3 weeks. Some also say they cycled in......but never got it right.

Better to be patient.

I have nitrates. I dosed my tank way too high too often at first so I jacked my nitrites up super high. So now I just get to be patient. I'm almost 5 weeks in now. I looked at my calendar last night. I've done a pwc recently.

As of about 10 min ago, my readings are:

pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: ~15ppm (did a serial dilution)
Nitrates: 40ppm

I have nitrates. I dosed my tank way too high too often at first so I jacked my nitrites up super high. So now I just get to be patient. I'm almost 5 weeks in now. I looked at my calendar last night. I've done a pwc recently.

As of about 10 min ago, my readings are:

pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: ~15ppm (did a serial dilution)
Nitrates: 40ppm
How big is your tank again? What are you planning to stock it with?

It's 65gal and I have no idea what to stock it with lol. I was hoping my new forum friends could help me :)

Back
Top Bottom