Starfish resources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgsketch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking about a SW tank and possibly having nothing but starfishes in it. But, I need to read up on them and find out more info on feeding and things. Does anyone have any good resources for starfish. I did a quick search and came up with very limited results, even searching for a single term "starfish did not bring in usefull info.

I was wondering if most starfish are mild and if any will attack each other?

Thanks for the help.

most starfish will eat things they scavenge and you can target feed them with pieces of seafood.

Some starfish can be quite aggressive, most are not.

I agree with Hara. Starfish are interesting inverts and they should do good as long as you feed them regularly. In fact I had one in a 10 gallon invert tank for about four months and its doing great. I feed it pieces of clam and shrimp and it absolutely goes crazy over these foods. Mine is tan in color and has relatively long arms. Best of Luck!

I was wondering if most starfish are mild and if any will attack each other?
They don't have the brain to be aggressive, no worries there. It should work, but you need to investigate each species requirements before you purchase.

The linkia star is a great starfish but can be difficult to keep. Most of what I read still say thy are not sure exactly what they eat in nature. They say they may eat meaty foods? I have had one for maybe 2 years and he is on his way out :( Slowly starving and getting smaller each week... I tried feeding small shrimp and it will not eat it..
Do your homework and you should have a very cool tank... Great idea..

Thanks for the replies. I saw some really cool starfish with long arms, like the feather starfish. I will have to do my research.

feather or basket stars do not do well in capitivity :( they are very cool.. I got my first serpent star a few months ago and he is so cool... the octopus type arms come out of the LR at feeding time and he snatches the shrimp out of my feeding tongs and then the next arm comes right out for another piece..

My serpent stars are my favorites! I sometimes slip and call them "octopi" b/c their legs look like octopus legs! They hang out up front in our tank and come out when we feed. Cool creatures!!!!

Back
Top Bottom