Start of a long relationship (planted tank journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait... did I read that right? You can use regular pool sand instead of the more expensive stuff they sell at the LFS? I am SO going to have to do that! Do you have to provide any extra nutrients or anything for your plants?

Wait... did I read that right? You can use regular pool sand instead of the more expensive stuff they sell at the LFS? I am SO going to have to do that! Do you have to provide any extra nutrients or anything for your plants?
Yep I got mine at leslies for 10 bucks for 50lbs (enough to fill a 40gallon tank to a reasonable depth.

You will need root tabs though.

Yep. Some stores like lowes, home depot, target, walmart, etc carry it as well... Pool supply stores are about the only sure fire bet though, it's kinda hit or miss when dealing with other places. A new lfs that just opened here in town carries it as well.

fort... that plant you couldn't figure out, could it be Sagittaria chilensis? I was just looking around online and saw a picture of it and instantly thought thats what it was.

Ok... UPDATE TIME!!!!!!

I was expecting my regulator to come in the mail tomorrow. That's when they said it would be here. They were wrong. Checked the tracking site to make sure it was on time, it was delivered. Checked the mail box, there it was. So, with no further interruption... pics:

img_1234946_0_2a353b6e40a3d797315aa2dc35ea164e.jpg

img_1234946_1_250e3b6b8b0c1f2a45791c10a0436415.jpg

Straighten up that bubble counter foo'.

Seriously though, read the book before you screw it on a full tank... If it isn't setup right it can destroy the regulator.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Aquarium for IPhone

Oh and use vegetable oil in the bubble counter. It won't evaporate like water will.

Haha.. I wasn't even concerned if it was on there right, I was mainly checking to make sure it would screw on. I found out after I ordered them that there are a few different thread sizes in co2 cylinders. I'm taking the cylinder with my to work tomorrow as there's a place right next door that refills all types of gas. Oh, and thanks for the veggie oil recommendation... I'll make sure and do that... would canola oil work? I have gallons of that, no veggie oil ATM, but can get some if needed.

Canola will work great. I used water for the first few months and had to fill it frequently. With the oil I haven't had to refill for 2 years.

Good deal. Tomorrow is going to be a busy busy day for me. I gotta fill the cylinder, build the reactor, make a bracket for inside the tank, buy a kH test, set my new light up, do a pwc on all my tanks, and then wait until the pipe cement has fully cured (i'm guessing overnight?). Ahhh, so exciting!

On a side note, would it be a good idea to use the same timer for my lights and the solenoid? I was just thinking that plants don't use co2 when the lights are off, so would it be better to have the solenoid shut off maybe 30 minutes before the lights, and come on 30 minutes before the lights? I can definitely buy another timer if I need to.

I would get another timer for the best results. You want it to turn on 30-60 mins before the lights and turn off 30-60 mins before the lights go out. This will keep the pH swings to a more manageable level.

It will be ok though if they are on the same timer... Just not optimal.

Back
Top Bottom