Start of a long relationship (planted tank journal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not rushing you.... just saying, don't forget me and toss it! ;) I really like your substrate mix. I am pleased with the grow rates of the plants in my tank with the addition of Eco Complete. Curious to see what you think about your mix after a while..

Ooh ooh, I'll buy some rotala from you if you have trimmings. I have a sword I can't get rid of the algae on. It's like a magnet. Any kind if rotala i feel would look great in it's place. Pm me if you want to send some my way. Paypal is waiting. Lol

I'll make sure you're the first offered when I have some available Fdsh5... that's gonna be a while though, considering I dont even have it in my tank yet :)

As far as the sword, I dont get it. This one had BBA and HA all over it! But, that wasn't my reasoning, as the daily spot treating with excel was doing a good job.

I can't seem to get rid of it on mine. It's crazy. The wisteria you sent me is in the same tank and no problems with that. And the weird part is it pearls like crazy. I have cut back the photo period to 8 hours, no change. I will try splitting the time to 4 on 4 off 2 on to see if that helps. If not, it's gone

The split photoperiod in my 125 seems to be working well. The hair algae is slowly dwindling away. I run my lights 4 on, 4 off, 4 on, 12 off.

Going to change the timer now and anxiously wait to see if it works. Thanks for the help

Looking better each time rook! It is turning from a jungle into a scape. Love the row of blyxa in the mid ground. Need some HC or other very low grower in the front right, glosso in the front left, and another midground plant besides blyxa in front of the driftwood. But--it is really taking shape.

So, I really want to use this piece of driftwood... what do you guys think? Would it look better than one of the other pieces currently in there?

img_1339178_0_8fdf476533874e14cc56fab209d657c6.jpg

I would say that that piece will look better in your tank. Why not just add it and not take the other one out?

Where are you getting all your cool driftwoods? :)

My LFS had some great driftwood. I have entirely too much now. In total, I have 9 pieces, one of them being about 3' long haha. I don't want to ruin the scape with too much. If I add this one, I'll be removing one, most likely the one on the left. I'll have to soak it for a while, as it is not waterlogged, but shouldn't take too terribly long.

I like the branches too. Tie some java moss on the branches and it will look like a mini tree

I think that would look awesome on the left but it looks like you'll have to move a few plants. Hope it doesn't mess stuff up too bad I really like the way the tank is looking. I think it would look cool with the grass, don't know it's real name, around the base with the taller stuff going up through the branches. If it has depth to it. Hard to tell.

Holy cow!! Your apistos are huge...lol! Mine are tiny...mine are about as big as an apple snail shell...any luck with the spawning? Or not yet?

Not that I've seen yet... but they keep acting all territorial around the heater and the driftwood. The male had dug out about a 6" long by 2" wide area in the substrate right under the heater.

My GBRs just laid eggs for the first time Sunday. When I checked Tuesday to see if they hatched I watched as the parents ate the eggs. I hope your apistos don't do the same.

Cereal said:
My GBRs just laid eggs for the first time Sunday. When I checked Tuesday to see if they hatched I watched as the parents ate the eggs. I hope your apistos don't do the same.

Oh that's sad :( how do you avoid it??

Joyler said:
Oh that's sad :( how do you avoid it??

No idea. It was the first time I ever had egg layers so I didn't know what to do. I did read that the first few batches are normally eaten, or simply don't survive. hopefully the next time will be better for me, and this time for rookie :)

Back
Top Bottom