Start of another reef tank - 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I landed a great deal on a reef ready 55g tank. Here is the equipment being used:

Custom stand (tank w/lights sits 70" tall)
55g drilled tank
Coralife in sump super skimmer
Rio 2500 return pump
In-line Coralife UV Sterilizer
Sump suitable for a 100+ gallons
4 bulb t-5 ho lights with moonlight led
- 2 white 54w 10K and 2 54w actinic
Zoomed power sweep ph
Koralina 750 goh ph

Roughly 70lbs live sand
Roughly 50-60 lbs live Rick

All this except for 1/2 the rock I pad $150 for

Plans are soft corals, clean up crew and maybe 5-6 fish. Any recommendations on coral with this set up would be greatly appreciated. As of now I figured pulsing Xenia, mushrooms, leather, frogspawn, various polyps and zoas and possibly a flowerpot or hammer coral.

Fish would be six line wrasse, yellow head goby, green chromis, a pair of cardinals and maybe a flame angel.

I'd skip the flowerpot. They are just too hard to keep alive. I'd skip the UV too. It seemed to actually slow my coraline growth. I was displeased.

Other than that, it looks good man. I like the aquascape.

Well that just sucks lol, I love the flowerpot. I thought the UV was preferred by reef keepers too. But I'm always open for advice and opinions specially those with personal experiences.

Thanks

Duddits said:
This is a Xenia correct? I saw it in another members video

It appears to be Xenia yes. If you want Xenia take precaution not to put it within the flow of your power head or it will spread all over the tank just like colt coral does. Even out of the flow it grows quickly and must be maintained or it will take over. It still should have flow but not direct.

My current train of thought on xenia is that it is a nice coral, especially the pulsing varieties. I have not tested this, but putting some sand and rock in Tupperware in the tank might be able to stop the spread from going all over the tank.

Lol sitting here starring at my tank and the new live rock, what do I find? A blue leg hermit crab crawling on my sand bed. I know he probably won't make it through the cycle. Just shocked me to see him crawling around when I thought it was nothing but water, rocks and sand. Now I've heard of people adding a handful of crabs to help with cycle. Can I?

Ok so just for giggles I tested my water

Calcium - 440
kh - 286.4
Phosphate - .25
ph - 8.0
Ammonia - 0 - .25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0-5.0

Are these perimeters right?

Back
Top Bottom