Start zyme?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maggienyne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,
New member but I've been getting most of my information off this site as I've been learning.
Recently upgraded from a 1.5g tank to a 10g about a week ago and I used startzyme by tetra before putting my fish in.
I put my old filter media in with the new filter in hopes of seeding.
Ammonia is at .5 and nitrites .5 but no nitrates yet (probably still too early)
My 1.5 gallon was only running for about 3 weeks before I upgraded so I imagine there isn't that much bacteria

I was wondering should I add a bit more startzyme to boost the growth or does it sound like I'm off to a good start and should just leave it alone?

Also did a 15% water change yesterday but nothing has changed

Any advice is much appreciated!

Forgot to add would another water change be be official at this point or should I wait another day? And is 15% enough?
My fish are swimming around and look happy and healthy and eat like champs, although I have been slightly under feeding to keep ammonia under control

When doing a water change the amount of water you remove is the amount of contaminant that you are removing. Your 12% water changes are only taking out a minute amount of the ammonia and nitrite in the water. My suggestion is to do a 50% water change any time you have a higher than .25 ammonia / nitrite level in your tank. Any smaller than that and its not efficient.

As for the start zyme.. you can use it if you want. It won't hurt to use some but it won't always help either.

Back
Top Bottom