started a pond and need to know if I'm on the right track.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all.
Well this is something I've always wanted to do and i finally got the chance financially speaking. Ok here goes. I've already got a preformed 140gal above ground with 4 sarassa comets and 3 shubunkins @ around 4". It has a beckett filter and pump combo on it along with twin whisper 10-30 internal filters. They keep the water pretty clear. I do a 40% pwc every week and the system has been fully cycled since late march.
My pond is located between my house and garage in a space of about 12'. It only receives about 2hrs of midday sun due to the buildings and shade trees. I've just finished digging an inground pond in front of the existing one and it is roughly 450gal.
My plans are too have the water flow from the above ground into the new pond and then return via a 550 tetra wgp. At the point where the water comes out of the preformed pond i would have a 5gal bucket filled with media for a bacci wet-dry filter before it flows into the inground. I've already purchased all the plumbing and my liner is ordered. It will be a rectangle of 12' × 16'. I dont think i will need a uv clarifier because of the lack of direct sunlight.
So my question is. Am i forgetting anything or is there anything i should improve on???
Sorry for the long post.

I am not an expert on ponds by any means but do you have underground/outdoor compliant (with breakers) electrical service run for powering everything? I am not familiar with any of the brands your using because we are doing everything DIY but it seems like you have put alot of thought into this & have a plan in order! Good luck & hope to see pics soon!! :)

What are you going to put around the outside of the pond?boulders?landscaping bricks?farmers often give rock away free if youre looking for something like that

Yes i have electric run to my garage. 5-110 outlets all with their own GFI. (ground fault indicators)

I saved all the stones from the hole i dug. There are some pretty big ones. Plus i had gathered mountain stone also. I made sure the liner i ordered was 2' longer width and length so I'd have an even 1' overlay to put the stone on all the way around. I just hope ir all works out. I measured like 3 times just to make sure it was right! Lol

Well i finally found the time to do the underlay and liner. I was able to dig down to around 50"-52" I hope its deep enough for our Pennsylvania winters.
So whats everybody think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120528_180118.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120528_180118.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 117
Please excuse the clutter as i just finished up and still have all the cosmetic stuff to do yet.

It looks nice. Obviously unfinished though right? I think you might need a heater for the winter IMO. But it definitely looks like a good start

Cichlid Kid said:
Well i finally found the time to do the underlay and liner. I was able to dig down to around 50"-52" I hope its deep enough for our Pennsylvania winters.
So whats everybody think?

My filter looks just like yours :)

Eventually I'll have 2- 5gal trickle filters. One more will go above the preform pond.
So with almost 10gal of biological and mechanical filtration how many sarassa comets and lemon yellow hibunas could i comfortably stock? Both ponds combined will be about 700gal.

I can only offer very general rules of thumb for pond stocking. A 'general rule' is one inch of fish per 10g of water although I have seen pond stocking suggestions as low as 1inch fish/3gal water. Less is always more with messy goldies because they will eventually reproduce, too. Look forward to seeing more pics soon! :)

I'm almost finished. All i need is a few more plants. I have watercress and dwarf cattails but am lookin for something else also. Any ideas? I'd like to finish my stocking of goldfish with a few lemon yellow hibuna or comets but they're really hard to find in my area. Does anyone know of a member or club that breeds them?

ForumRunner_20120530_221031.jpg

Any chance your within a reasonable drive of the Philly area? I can suggest a place to get some amazing plants & variety of fish though not hibunas. The only person I know that sells them is Steve of Rain Garden Goldfish though I'm sure there's some other breeders if you did some searching. He also has some other unusual fish. I'll see if I can find anything else. :)

Philly's over 3hrs away. It would be worth the drive for a yellow comet or hibuna though.
I'm thinkin of going native with the plants and was wondering if there are any floating ones that do well in mostly shade. My pond only receives about 3-4 hrs of full sun a day.
Thankyou for the help in trying to locate the yellow singletail gf. I didnt think it would be this hard :( not gonna give-up though :)

Im not sure what floating plants would do well with minimum sun but Im sure theres some! Did you check out Rain Garden? Steve has yellow wakin, comet, watonai and hibuna for sale. Heres the link: Rain Garden Goldfish

Wow. I just got done browsin thru Rain Gardens site. Their yellow comets and hibunas are awesome. I can tell he has some hi quality stock. The price tag is a little outa my league though. My plans are to acquire HQ stock like that and breed show quality sarasa's, yellow hibunas and comets. I realize that I'm gonna have to pay for show quality stock so it may take some time.
I've been told that my sarasa comets are of a really good quality. They've been with me for awhile, 4 generations to be exact. Does anyone know what they typically look for when judging show stock? I will try to get pics of my sarasa's so i can get everyones opinions. Also, on another note about my questions on plants and lowlite. Is it true that the broad leaf varieties are more or less lowlite? I mean it makes sense i guess. Broad leaves have more surface area to absorb what little light they do get.

Woops! Almost forgot. I wanted to thank -jlk- for all the help. Its greatly appreciated. So when do i get to see some of your pictures???
Lookin forward to it.

My pond 'project' has been crazy! Ill try to get pics up soon- my computer crashed last month & its at the shop (along with most of my pics...). Hopefully, they will be able to recover them off the crashed hard drive!

Yes, Steve has beautiful fish! His prices are actually pretty reasonable for what he offers. I did ask around of some other goldie breeders if anyone knew who may have some yellow hibunas (etc) and Ive come up short so far! If I hear anything, Ill def let you know! It seems they are pretty rare in the US but Im sure theres somebody out there! :)

Back
Top Bottom