started a pond and need to know if I'm on the right track.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 2" drain in the bottom of mine. In the center i dug down 1' deeper than the rest of it. Its a simple shower type drain with a 90°elbow. It angles up to ground level 9' away with a ball valve at the end. After taking all the big debris out by hand i open it up and it washes all the sediment out. It takes about 40-50gal of water out. Then I'm half way to doing a pwc.:)

I net out the big stuff, have a prefilter box on the intake that gets cleaned, and a bottom drain on the homemade filter (water barrel) that I open up as Im squishing the filter media. I open & close the bottom drain a couple of times allowing the all the dirt to be pumped out with as much water as needs to be changed. My husband is trying to figure a way to hook up a pool vac to the pump to suck out additional debris. Still working on that one! :)

The pool vacuum idea is brilliant. That sounds like a patent in the making. Keep me updated. It would really solve a problem for alot of pond owners. Large or small scale.

Havent quite figured out this one yet! The pump is super powerful (as in 10,000-12,000gph) and it basically flattens any type of hose/flexible tubing its hooked up to. Maneuvering pvc pipe isnt really possible. I will definitely let you know if we figure something out!

thanks for all the info. I am trying to learn as much as I can about running an outdoor pond :)

Back
Top Bottom