Started a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medx

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have started a 36 gal saltwater tank and I am newbie. I am going to use mainly dry rock for my setup but I have gotten about 3 pounds of live rock and the two small rocks are in my tank by themselves. One looks like it has Caroline algae will it spread to the other rock and on to the glass ? And if so will how much time will it take ?

Attachments

• image-220982519.jpg
    image-220982519.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-430168404.jpg
    image-430168404.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 100
How fast coraline spreads...there are too many variables to count...keeping stable parameters will help with this. Don't bother with products like purple up or anything that "promotes" the growth...it is just alk and calcium in a jar and can throw things out of whack. Taking a toothbrush to some of the coraline will help it spread around your tank to take root in the rest of the tank.

Time and patience is the key. Keep up your water changes and keep water parameters good! You can't speed through the cycling process. Good luck friend!

And as for purple up. Don't bothering using it. To much chemicals in a tank will throw it off. Let it do it's thins naturally. I've seen better looking coraline algae without the use of additives

It will take quite a while, be patient. However, I did make a homemade overflow for my old 55gal approximately 6 months ago and it is nearly completely purple now, however it really depends how healthy and stable your system is. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom