Started my cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if im going in the right direction here.

Ammonia at 0.50
nitrite at 5.0

Salinty 1.025
PH 7.85
Temp 7.9

I threw in 2 raw shrimp

and Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria

Looks like you have the cycle under way. Keep monitoring. When the shrimp is still in the tank decomposing and you can't detect any ammonia or nitrite, you should be ready for fish.

Just wondering if im going in the right direction here.

Ammonia at 0.50
nitrite at 5.0

Salinty 1.025
PH 7.85
Temp 7.9

I threw in 2 raw shrimp

and Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria

How big is your tank? Do you have a protein skimmer? If so, keep it off. I have a 125 gallon tank. Added two raw shrimps but it wasn't enough. I did not see a Ammonia spike or Nitrite increase. I added four more raw shrimps yesterday. Going to check my ammonia levels today. The ammonia should spike and drop down after 24 hours and Nitrite should increase after. Nitrate will show up after. Once Ammonia and Nitrite is at 0ppm and Nitrate increase then your ready for water change.

Its a 75 gallon tank. I just turned on my protein skimmer to fine tuned it. Im on my 3rd week of cycling. I have dead rock now and half regular sand and half live sand

You can run a skimmer during a cycle, it will shorten the break in time but will overflow pretty constantly most likely. Not an issue really for an in sump skimmer. A skimmer won't remove the ammonia or nitrites being used in the cycle as you have to empty the skimmers cup to remove any of the proteins it is removing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom