Starter corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Soon I will have my PC's installed and would like to add a hardy soft coral that my Perculas could use as a host.

What would you suggest?

There are plenty you can add, but please don't think that your clowns will host right away. They might either not even notice it, or take to it and stress the coral out so much it shrinks up and dies later on.

But here's a few off the top of my head..tree corals, leather corals, mushrooms, polyps (green star, yellow, etc.), xenia (a couple types), carnation coral (more of a filter feeder..MAY not be the best starter for most)...umm....that's all I can think of right now.

I hope that helps, i'm not good with remembering good soft corals off the top of my head.

My clowns host my zoa's along with my alveopora. They will host a number of different things though. Then again they may not host anything. Zoa's are pretty hardy and a good beginner coral. Flamingonhot has some good suggestions as well.

I believe that most pc lighting can handle most lps's. I would stay away from clams and sps's as they need metal halide. You may just have to put the corals in different levels of the tank to ensure proper lighting. HTH

As stated earlier there is no guarantee that your clown will host anything. I got a BTA awhile back and my clowns totally ignored it and they host a bubble coral and pagoda cup.

A couple good starter corals would be Green Star Polyps and of course zoos.

Im not sure what your clowns will host too though....

Back
Top Bottom