Starter fish ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PESCATORI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings:

I have a 30 gal freshwater tank and all the stuff necessary to get myself into big trouble... and, I have read some articles relating to cycling the tank but I'm not certain what sorta fish I should begin the process with. Suggestions & Recommendations based on Experience are always welcome.

Ciao, Don
:cool:

Great hearty starter fish in my past experience are mollies.

Jason7894561230 said:
Well there are so many good starter fish.
Mollies, Guppies, swordtail, tetras of various kind and other things
Tell us what are YOU interested in?

This is true. I started my 10 gallon with guppies my old 14 gal with mollies and my 50 gallon with tetras. So if we were to know your end goal it would help.

I hate the term "starter fish". There is no such thing. Fish are created equal. They all require clean water, food, proper tank maintenance, etc. Yes, some fish do require some extra attention, but I'd say that 80-90% of the available fish on the market require about the same in terms of water quality, time, etc. Thats JMO of course.

To answer the OP, IMO, if you're going to dedicate the time and research required to start a tank and keep it, about any fish you're going to find in your LFS are going to be suitable. I'd stay away from some of the more sensitive fish like Ottos, discus, and rams if you're just starting out though, as they are more sensitive to parameter swings than most other fish. Also, dont buy any fish without researching them. Compatibility, size, and water conditions will determine what fish you can keep, and what other fish you can keep them with.

+1 for mfd.

I do have to disagree with all fish being equal for a beginner. There are definitely fish that are less demanding than others. As mfd stated, otos, discus, and rams are sensitive and probably should be avoided by beginners. I would also add any fish that gets very large, have a bad attitude, or requires a strictly carnivorous diet.

With a 30g tank, it's hard to go wrong with a few schools of tetras and some cories for the bottom. Plan for the adult size of the fish, not the current size, and research compatibility. Ask lots of questions here and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.

From what you said it seems like your tank is not cycled yet, if so I agree with mudraker: save yourself the trouble and do fishless cycle. Yes, it sucks to have to wait to get fish but it is muuuuch easier. Let us know if you have questions after reading the article I am sure a ot of people around will be happy to help.

Also, while your tank is fishless cycling you can go to your LFS chech out which fish you like and then research them and/or start a stocking thread.

Best of luck,

My reply 2 all of u

Well; what a nice response. I have plenty to read and digest now while the tank is settling in. Thank all of you for your responses and suggestions.

Ciao,

Don

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom