Starting a 120 gallon tank what would you stock it with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jase

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Trying to figure out what be a good mix for my 120 gallon I want variety any ideas

Any general idea of what you want or you up for anything? I'm bout to setup a similar size tank which will be for my festae along with a school of either silver dollars or tinfoil bardbs for dither fish and a small cat.

I was maybe going to go with cichlids because they are always at the LFS

but on the other hand I wanted variety so I thought I would see what others thought

You can do a lot with a community tank in tanks that size. Have you ever considered discus? Maybe even angels? With those you could do a cichlid community tank with small schooling fish like tetras and rasboras but angels will eat smaller fish sometimes like tetras. You could also keep a large school or Cory cats and a couple designer plecos like a gold nugget.

But that's just what I'd do. Hmm it didn't say what I typed so

Edit I would do a few angel fish, a school of rainbow fish, a Pleco, some catfish, and a few schools of different tetras.

You could do a school of 6 angels in that size tank, then a couple schools of small fish. I have cardinal and rummy nose tetras, threadfin rainbowfish, and longfin white cloud mountian minnows in my 220g. Also some larger tetras that work well with angels (and in a school of at least 6) are white skirt, diamond, and lemon tetra's. For a large tetra Congo tetra's work very well. Rainbowfish are also a good choice. Then for the bottom you can use Cory cats or Yo-yo loaches or a combination of both. I have both in my tank. For something alittle different look into Whiptail cats. You could keep 3 in that size tank. Then I'd add a Bristlenose pleco,I have a longfin albino bn pleco. And if you want a school of fish that stays at the top of the tank look into Marble hatchetfish.

Thank you all for the info
I'm googling every fish mentioned

Homestly if i had a 120 i would do an aggresive tank. I love my oscar. They are very smart fish and you could do 2 in that tank with another fish of somesort

Homestly if i had a 120 i would do an aggresive tank. I love my oscar. They are very smart fish and you could do 2 in that tank with another fish of somesort

i have a Piranha tank for the past 7 years

+1 for pirannah tank and oscar tank. I would love either one of those, but i would not take them over my 120g fahaka puffer tank.

Are piranah's difficult to keep? Ive always thought about a poranah tank down the road and never knew much other than they like to be in schools

Not all like to be kept in schools but if setup correctly they are an easy to care for fish. First thing though you need to check to see if they are legal where you are.

Are piranah's difficult to keep? Ive always thought about a poranah tank down the road and never knew much other than they like to be in schools
very easy to take of keep them fed and the tank clean and you will have some amazing fish

Lt. said:
But how do you clean a piranha tank without losing a limb? I'm not kidding

They are pretty docile fish unless given food which they don't see you or your appendages as food ;)

This is just me but I would go with discus or angels, with some small schools of other fish. I'm going to try to do both in my 90 gallon tank, I know some say its a bad idea but I have always wanted to try.

Lt. said:
I never pegged piranhas as docile

I would put my arm in the tank to clean it and I have also fed them by hand

They are very misunderstood

7 years and never bit once

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom