Starting a FOWLR tank... looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Notafan21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I just bought a 75g tank and am planning to make it a fish/live rock aquarium. I am new to this, and after doing some research I realize that this will be a big commitment. I am looking for advice on what types of filters, heaters, protein skimmers, etc that I will need. Is it better to use sand or crushed gravel, basically the things that you experienced folk have learned over the years with this hobby. Any recommendations that you can give me would be appreciated!

Im starting a 90 gal, I am using "sugar size" arragonite sand from caribsea..Most LFS carry something, good idea to find a LFS that you can trust but you do have to watch as some just care about selling you lots of stuff..I am gonna use a sand bed along with live rock for filtration and a good skimmer. I will also be running a 35 gal sump/refugium underneath with a sand bed and more live rock and some chaeto algae to help with nitrates. Best advice I can give you is read, read and read more. Ive spent last 2 weeks surfing 4 different fish forums reading everything I can in the newbie sections and diy sections.. Ive ordered a Skimz skimmer my LFS sells. Looks alot like the SWC skimmers and this is an in sump skimmer. If you are looking for hang on I have heard ther aqua c's are good.. There are lots of options for everything in this hobby..

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom