starting a marine - salt creep question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my 29 is finally being transferred to my 55

heres the 29 currently

30.jpg

heres where the fish are going

IMG_20161210_201906.jpg

ANYWAY
What Im curious about is by this pic you can see my tank is located under a very nice wall hung tv.
My biggest fear in doing this is salt creep. I am super worried about seeing dried up crusty calcium and salt all over the bottom of the tv. We just got it and Id like to keep it nice a while.

I planned on using an HOB skimmer since I cant use a sump system due to the stand its on. I was going to make a canopy and line the inside with plexi to avoid rot. Do you guys think that this would be enough to stop creep from getting up on my tv.

My buddy swears running lid-less is better but I cant see that being true and I honestly dont want to not have a lid on it.

Thanks

55 looks excellent man!! As for the sw, think it needs to be open top for gas exchange?? Someone will be along with better info I'm sure. You can use a fine screen maybe??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

55 looks excellent man!! As for the sw, think it needs to be open top for gas exchange?? Someone will be along with better info I'm sure. You can use a fine screen maybe??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Brook

Thanks, do you do marine as well?
I have been working on this 55 forEVER!
Ill be glad to get the fish over, but honestly transferring my angel spooks me out a bit. Id hate to lose that fish. I wanted to use some of the same water to transfer but I honestly dont even think that will matter.
wish me luck, Im kind of doing this under the other halfs nose lol cause she terrified Ill kill the fish by moving them.

Hey brooks on a side note that ferny looking plant (Hygrophila pinnatifida) is not doing to well. What would you say to clipping at the base and seeing if it regrows??? right now the leaves are just rotting off and causing a mess.
thanks

Is that dark souls on the tv? Lol but the from my understanding with salt creep it had a lot more to do with water agitation, like splashing and such. So if you keep the water with good flow but no active splashing or anything you should have pretty limited salt creep. And that 55 is amazing, I have always wanted a tank with a beautiful carpet like that

Salt creep itself is from lots of splashing and such of the water as salt does not evaporate. Though not exactly what you are referring to, there should not be electronics above such systems due to evaporation and other such things will cause rusting.

Salt creep comes from splashing as Hank said or from bubbles that pop and send SW flying. Do you have anything causing bubbles in your SW tank?

I understand it comes from splashing but my buddy has a marine 29 and his entire wall behind it was salted at one point up about a foot with no splashing, so its just odd.
As for the electronics, I was worried at first but I had another TV prior I moved into another room that was perfectly fine, I always kept a lid though as you can see.

That game was lords of the fallen. I actually cropped the image because I was testing a non VR game with a VR headset my GF gave me for my birthday. VR great..... lords of the fallen, not so great.... Dark Souls.... AMAZING! Played them all even Bloodborne.

I dont think I will have any major splashing going on, I want a more tranquil marine enviroment I think. Might try some small easy corals, but aiming for smaller fish (a couple), snails, shrimp, and anemones.

Stay away from anemones. There lifespan is greatly reduced in captivity. And when they die they will ruin your tank. And definitely not for a beginner saltwater aquarist.

Back
Top Bottom