Starting a new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
55 gallons

x10 male fancy guppies
x40 female fancy guppies
x2 blue crawfish

This is the filter I will have:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GJ43EK/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

I will also have some under gravel filters. Not sure if i will use them. Any suggestions? Decoration ideas?

Also, I'm aware that the crawfish will inevitably eat the guppies. I plan on letting them start reproducing pretty well before I introduce my crawfish.

55 gallons

x10 male fancy guppies
x40 female fancy guppies
x2 blue crawfish

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GJ43EK/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

I will also have some under gravel filters. Not sure if i will use them. Any suggestions? Decoration ideas?

Also, I'm aware that the crawfish will inevitably eat the guppies. I plan on letting them start reproducing pretty well before I introduce my crawfish.

You do know that your going to have an overwhelming amount of baby's although it will be pretty thought with fancy guppies

55 gallons

x10 male fancy guppies
x40 female fancy guppies
x2 blue crawfish

Amazon.com: Aquatop CF400UV 4-Stage Canister Filter with UV 9W, 370 gph: Pet Supplies

IMO that is too many fish for a 55g. Half that number is more suitable and you'll still get plenty of fry.

Undergravel filters are not very good either as they end up trapping tons of detris in them that you can't get out, which in turn lowers water quality.

As for decorations if you want any fry to survive they are going to need plenty of plant cover, either real or fake. Although crawfish love to destroy live plants you could still do some floating water sprite or even hornwort to help the fry.

Thanks everyone! I will go with fewer. If they're going to reproduce there is no reason to start with numbers that high. My lfs will take them and give store credit and I have a lot of friends who would take feeder fish. (even if they are pretty. Lol.) do you think my crawfish will just tear up their fins? Is it a bad idea with fancy guppies? Or would it be okay with the right amount of hiding spaces?

Thank you for the advice on the gravel filter. I had wondered. I won't do that.

Non related question, can bamboo be fully aquatic?

No bamboo can't be kept fully aquatic. As for the crayfish and guppies... I can't really say. All I know is if they can catch them, they will surely kill and eat them.

Rivercats said:
No bamboo can't be kept fully aquatic. As for the crayfish and guppies... I can't really say. All I know is if they can catch them, they will surely kill and eat them.

Right. I feed my guy rosy reds. So I figured a guppy might not be much different. Just flashier. Thanks! I bought a new aquarium tonight and someone gave me some bamboo. :banghead:

jmay33 said:
Right. I feed my guy rosy reds. So I figured a guppy might not be much different. Just flashier. Thanks! I bought a new aquarium tonight and someone gave me some bamboo. :banghead:

:banghead: (again) i got my 55 gallon tonight! Just realized which thread this was. Lol.

Whole aspect of this tank has changed. I am going to keep my guppies in 30 gallons(way fewer, of course. Probably 6 males and 20 females.) I have 2 30 gallon community tanks I am wanting to combine.

This is the stock I already have:
1 Pearl Gourami
6 Cories(2bronze, 2peppered, and 2albino)
8 danios(6 zebra, 1 gold long finned, 1 blue longfinned)
4 silver hatchet fish
4 African dwarf frogs
1 clown pleco
a bunch of ghost shrimp(who knows?)
4 golden apple snails

This is what I'm wanting to add:
10 Neon Tetras
2 panda cories(maybe more cories?)
+2 silver hatchet fish

Maybe 2 more longfinned danios?

Am I over stocking? Thanks in advance!

Back