Starting a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lil_is_me_2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm REALY interested in begging a planted aquarium though I have never kept one before. It would be sooooooo helpful if anyone could give me tips on products to use, steps for planting carpet and main plants, filter systems , fish to use and so on . Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What type of setup are you aiming for? Some good beginner plants that will basically thrive no matter what are java fern, java moss, and anubias. Or do you want to do a whole CO2 root tabs super high tech lighting tank?

What's required for that kind of high tech tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A lot of time and energy. For a first time planted tank person, I would recommend the first one with the easier plants. They don't neccesscarily need all that stuff.

A lot of time and energy. For a first time planted tank person, I would recommend the first one with the easier plants. They don't neccesscarily need all that stuff.

Sorry, I'm kind of bad with words at the moment. I hope this makes sense...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430632183.982020.jpg
Not everything has to be high tech :) it's really quite a challenge to have a balanced high tech tank. You've also got to have the money....

The above picture is my very simple low tech tank. It's an aquaone ecostyle 47 and the plants in it are thriving. I have lace fern, hygro c, wisteria, parrots feather, anubias, thin Val, Java moss and subwassertang all growing very well in a tank that only receives water changes once a week and has osmocote mixed into the sand substrate.

Have a look out there at some low tech tanks, you can still have great looking tanks even when they're low tech.

View attachment 271536
Not everything has to be high tech :) it's really quite a challenge to have a balanced high tech tank. You've also got to have the money....

The above picture is my very simple low tech tank. It's an aquaone ecostyle 47 and the plants in it are thriving. I have lace fern, hygro c, wisteria, parrots feather, anubias, thin Val, Java moss and subwassertang all growing very well in a tank that only receives water changes once a week and has osmocote mixed into the sand substrate.

Have a look out there at some low tech tanks, you can still have great looking tanks even when they're low tech.
+1 the success of a planted tank is more tied in with the amount of care you give it rather than expensive gear.

The higher light levels open up more plant choices, but it also opens up a nightmarishly large number of potential problems as well.

For a first time plant keeper i would suggest going for medium light and excel for a carbon source along with dry fertilizers.

With medium light, when youre ready for high light you can add a second fixture and a pressurized co2 system.

A cheaper option is to go "low tech". Have a look into the Walstad method using a dirt substrate under a capping layer. I've used ordinary garden compost or potting soil with a small amount of shell grit mixed in and achieved good results. I don't use CO2 but I do have a PlantGlo LED lighting system on a 5/4/5 regime (5 hours on 4 off then 5 hours on again)

100168-albums14356-picture68815.jpg

+1 the success of a planted tank is more tied in with the amount of care you give it rather than expensive gear.

The higher light levels open up more plant choices, but it also opens up a nightmarishly large number of potential problems as well.

For a first time plant keeper i would suggest going for medium light and excel for a carbon source along with dry fertilizers.

With medium light, when youre ready for high light you can add a second fixture and a pressurized co2 system.

This ^^^

I would start small like a 10g-20g if you are on a budget. This also makes fertilizers much cheaper every month. A mix of Flourish Excel/Comprehensive + API Leaf Zone would cover your fertilizers. Seachem Iron also for red plants if they need that extra dose of it. On small tanks the big bottles will last you a while.

Finnex is also a great lighting option. It's much cheaper than some other brands and many users on here use one. There is plenty of sizes and models to choose from.

I wouldn't invest in pressurized co2 unless you are really committed. I did it because I don't have the time to make a mess out of the DIY but for those with some time on their hands, DIY is way cheaper.

My 75g with a 48 inch Finnex Planted Plus+

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430821115.853895.jpg

Caleb

A cheaper option is to go "low tech". Have a look into the Walstad method using a dirt substrate under a capping layer. I've used ordinary garden compost or potting soil with a small amount of shell grit mixed in and achieved good results. I don't use CO2 but I do have a PlantGlo LED lighting system on a 5/4/5 regime (5 hours on 4 off then 5 hours on again)

Very nice looking tank! I have a Walstad style tank with onlly natural lighting and it's a jungle!

Exactly what plants and fish you choose are dependent on a few factors. If you want carpeting plants you will probably need to consider C02 as these sort of plants demand high CO2 levels. In addition you will need fairly strong lighting. Personally I prefer a more natural look that requires less maintenance, that why I decided to try the Walstad method. Instead of carpeting plants I've use Crypts to fill in the front of the tank with Swords in the middle ground and bunch plants in the background. You want to have a few fast growing bunch plants to soak up the excess nutrient released from the soil substrate. I've also added a few Anubias attached to driftwood. The advantage of having the slower growing anubius on driftwood is that I can remove them from the tank to clean off any algae. Instead of CO2 I use a daily dose of EasyCarbo. Between that and the soil substrate the plants are growing really well requiring an almost weekly pruning.

As for fish just make sure they are plant friendly. I have mostly Rainbows as they are active and don't rearrange the tank or eat the plants. I also have a few Otocinclus Catfish to help with algae control on plant leaves, Corydoras to take care of any left over fish food and stir the bottom of the tank up and a Albino Bristlenose Catfish to keep the hardscape clean.

Back
Top Bottom