starting a saltwater reef tank for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdavid71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am converting to saltwater reef tank because we have kept freshwater fish for some time now. Can you guys help me by posting websites that are reliable, so I can fully understand on what I need to do. I am commited to it and my tank size is going to be a 20 gallon tank. Also, if you guys can leave any tips, also keep in mind that I am a complete beginner on saltwater.:thanks:

Have a look at some of the articles on here about setting up a salt water tank and ongoing maintenance. Plenty if good info to be found. When you are ready to start up you can ask loads of questions here!

The articles on fishless cycling on this site are great.

Also, if you want a good book (or two), I highly recommend the following:

Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder by Martin A. Moe | 9780982026212 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

The Nano-Reef Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Reef Systems under 15 Gallons by Chris R. Brightwell | 9780793807178 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

I have a 20 gallon and love it. More importantly, my wife and kids love it, as well (so much so that my wife wants a 120 now :) )

What lighting should I use and how many watts per gallon. What light will allow me to keep most corals

See the thread about lighting, best bang for your buck. TLDR version: Taotronics dimmable 120 watt.

See the thread about lighting, best bang for your buck. TLDR version: Taotronics dimmable 120 watt.

So 6 watts per gallon is good? Also, can you explain what actinic light is? What light can I use at night or do I not need one?

You don't need watts per gallon. PAR and PUR is what's important with corals. Those lights are dimmable, so they can be dialed down. The full 120 will most likely destroy corals in a 20 gallon tank.

You don't need light at night.

Quick question. Do you plan on having corals? Because if you do the set up would be a little different with lights etc. actnic lights are the blue light that really make things pop in a saltwater tank. You dont have to have special light if you go with just fish and inverts like shrimp , hermit crabs etc

Quick question. Do you plan on having corals? Because if you do the set up would be a little different with lights etc. actnic lights are the blue light that really make things pop in a saltwater tank. You dont have to have special light if you go with just fish and inverts like shrimp , hermit crabs etc

Yes, I want to keep corals

Ok this is my opinion. First 20 g will fill up quickly so be very picky about what corals you get. Do not get quick growing corals unless that is the only coral you want in the tank because they will take over the tank also being a small tank you will need to keep a very close eye on your parameters.

Second. You have to use ro di water. Either find a reliable trustworthy place to buy the water or get your own ro di unit.

Then you will of course need salt (I like reef crystals), a skimmer ( you can get hang on the back skimmers), heater, power heads, good lights, live rock, a hydrometer, and test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the beginning. You may meed other test kits the more advanced you get.

This is iust the very basics. Hope I didnt forget anything. Saltwater is way different than fresh
But it is more rewarding imo :)

Ok this is my opinion. First 20 g will fill up quickly so be very picky about what corals you get. Do not get quick growing corals unless that is the only coral you want in the tank because they will take over the tank also being a small tank you will need to keep a very close eye on your parameters.

Second. You have to use ro di water. Either find a reliable trustworthy place to buy the water or get your own ro di unit.

Then you will of course need salt (I like reef crystals), a skimmer ( you can get hang on the back skimmers), heater, power heads, good lights, live rock, a hydrometer, and test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the beginning. You may meed other test kits the more advanced you get.

This is iust the very basics. Hope I didnt forget anything. Saltwater is way different than fresh
But it is more rewarding imo :)

Do I have to use a skimmer, and what lights do u recommend?

A skimmer for a reef tank is highly recommended, but not necessary. It will certaibly be beneficial for your tank. What do you plan on stocking this tank with, fish wise? Do spend the time to read the best bang for your bulk thread, it will tell you which lights are best for your system, coming straight from people's personal experience.

Personally I think a skimmer is a must have especially wiith corals. I have an Aqua C Remora skimmer on my 30 gallon. I also have an aqua illumination Nano light on my 30. Its a great light but there are other options out there. Just do tons of research.

Just do tons of research.

I can't emphasize this enough.

And, most importantly, don't rush it. Cycle your tank the right way, slowly add livestock, check parameters, etc.

I'm going super slow on my 20 gallon, partly on purpose, partly because "life" gets in the way, but I know in the end it will be successful. (That being said, I'm not 100% sold on a skimmer for a 20 gallon. If you keep up with water changes and don't over feed, you should be ok. If I make a canopy for my tank, I might get a HOB skimmer, but I'm not sweating it.)

How many fish can I put in it? Also, can I use the aqueon 30 as a filter?

You will not be able to put too much in a 20 gallon. Maybe a clown or a couple firefish. A good place to look is at liveaquaria. It will tell you the minimum size tank the fish need. Also, I would not use a regular filter because it will build up nitrates unless you clean it frequently. Skimmer would be the way to go.

You will not be able to put too much in a 20 gallon. Maybe a clown or a couple firefish. A good place to look is at liveaquaria. It will tell you the minimum size tank the fish need. Also, I would not use a regular filter because it will build up nitrates unless you clean it frequently. Skimmer would be the way to go.

I can't afford an expensive skimmer, and are there any alternatives to keeping nitrates low?

Doing water changes often. But that also adds up $. Saltwater is a lot more expensive compared freshwater. The fish are more expensive, corals can be lots of money. IMO if I am going to spend that much money on corals and fish, I want to make sure I can keep them alive. Because it stinks watching a $100 coral die (been there done that, makes you sick :( ) just start off real slow, take your time and when you do have the money get what you can.

Back
Top Bottom