Starting a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmw

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I want to start a planted tank probably going to start with a 10 gallon how should I start it, what do I need to get started, also some recommendations since I'm new to this I want it to look like a jungle so any help will be greatly appreciated

Well if your doing swords you'll need some root tabs. Or you can make you own! ( I see your tank now lol heavily planted shrimp tank lol)

Yea I'm just really anxious to learn so I can start a big tank with plants fish and inverts

Don't really know anything about plants or mixing the three

Hehe, trust me it's not as hard as you think. My favorite plant is wisteria. Grows like a weed in my tank. I also like anubis ( gets huge) and anacharis ( does best floating)

Ok sweet what kinda fish should I get, maybes African dwarf frog

An African dwarf would be cool, but I don't know much about them, maybe Somone else can help?

Yea maybe, but thanks for all you've told me I might have more questions in the future

Well Hello :D well come to AA!!! See that your a new member, very awesome! Have you kept tanks in the past or new to the hobby? :)

Kept some nothing serious but want to get good at it so trying to learn as much as I can

Want as close to natural as I can get

Very cool :) Well I'm sure you have read all about cycling and such for fish. As for plants welcome to a new world! Have you thought about what type of substrate you will be putting into the tank? And one big thing is the lighting, but before you do you should look into the types of plants you want to get. Low light or high lighting plants, all depends on you. :) Then, CO2, could always have a DIY system in a 10gal but depends on how much money you would like to spend on a system. :p

Yea in basically new to the whole plant aspect I know some about fish, less about inverts but like them a lot, also wanna add some driven dwarf frogs maybe but basically lost on what to do or how to start the whole thing, all I know is I want sorta a jungle like tank with plenty of movement so I can watch them and show it off

Also I don't really know about substrate either just always used gravel in the past

I'm using playground sand in mine and I just set up a DIY Co2 system. It was pretty easy. The sand took a bit to rinse out though. It's not too difficult to get started.

Will plants grow good in that and what about fish and inverts

I do not have sand in my planted tank... but a mix of gravel and seachem flourite. It works out pretty well. I do hear that sand planted tanks do very well too. :)

My plants have grown really well in the sand so far with the root tabs. I am waiting to see how well the DIY Co2 works. There are a lot of types of sand. Some people have some really nice planted gravel tanks as well. Just personal preference I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom