Starting () gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sucio186

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i got a 90 Gallon tank and put live rock, about 175lbs which i got from someones tank and 80 lbs of reef live sand from my LFS. Its been running for about 3 weeks and i have not seen any changes in ammonia or nitrites. I was told that i would need fish to start the cycle but also that the live rock and live sand would do the job as well. Is there something that i am missing here. Any help is appreciated.

So i got a 90 Gallon tank and put live rock, about 175lbs which i got from someones tank and 80 lbs of reef live sand from my LFS. Its been running for about 3 weeks and i have not seen any changes in ammonia or nitrites. I was told that i would need fish to start the cycle but also that the live rock and live sand would do the job as well. Is there something that i am missing here. Any help is appreciated.

You need something to kick start the ammonia. Just having LR & sand won't do anything for the cycling process. Some people add a hardy fish or two to start the cycle... The waste from the fish will start the ammonia. Personally I prefer the raw dead shrimp because its more humane, as opposed to putting a fish through toxic levels of ammonia, trites & trates. Drop in one shrimp maybe 2 with a tank your size and the amount of LR you have. Let it rot... Take them out or leave them in for the duration of the cycle. ( I left mine in). And this should get you cycle off and running.

Thanks everyone. So now i notice that on some of the live rocks where there use to be purple coraline it is not becoming white. Is the coraline dying off? Anybody ever see this before.

Yes I believe that means it is dying.... If it used to be purple. Sometimes new coralline will be white...... If the rock was left out of the water for a little while that could've killed it. Or lack of light..... Really anything.

Every time I put new coraline covered rock in it turns white and dies off but will come back full force

Back
Top Bottom