Starting my first Saltwater tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meiko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help starting up a shopping list for a good Salt water tank. All I know is I'm eyeing a 55 Gal bow front, and I want a school of Green Chromis Damsels (I think that's what you call them?). I don't know the first thing about salt water tanks so please help point me in the right direction and not get ahead of myself! ^____^;

You can start by reading the articles on this site. There is also a suggested reading list at the top of this forum. I've recently read the Conscientious Marine Aquarist which is excellent.

Well, are you after a fish only tank, fish with live rock, or full reef?

If full reef, I'd go with a standard 55 over a bow front. bow fronts are tall, which means you need more light to reach the bottom of the tank for coral growth, and that can be a pain.

The first thing on your list should be a good book:The Conscientous Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner. Probably the best start up book you can find.

book..book..yes.. I just posted before even looking at the forum lol is just.. I-I.. saw the damsels at the fish store and.. I WANT THEM *cries* IwantIwantIwant.. I can't control myself, so I'm scared i'll end up blowing 1k on a total catastrophe of fish-doomness. x.x;;;

Anyways..yes.. read! good idea! *runs to get a book*

(Sorry I feel like i'm just spamming now.. I'm just too excited! ^^;; )

note that if you do go with damsels, you are potentially limiting yourself for future fish possibilities. Damsels are a bit aggressive and many SW fish Dont like being messed with.

also, ( and I have said this time and time again so for those who heard it already, I apoligise.) You need to be prepared to spend some money. alot of money. I have spent over 1000 dollars already and I have yet to put a single fish in my tank. Rocks, Lighting, filtration, sand, etc... this is all expensive and there is really no good short cuts you can take when It comes to the well being of your fish.

And You should also, consider that stocking a SW tank is much differnt than FW tanks. "technically" You can only put about 11 inches of fish in a SW tank and Many SW fish are 5 inches easily.

There were the two biggest issues that were a complete suprise to me after I started putting a system together for myself.

Do your research, read some books, check out all the awsome photos on this site and ask some questions! This is the greatest hobbie in the world! Have fun!

-Matt

Are green chromis's damsels? I didn't know that. And by the way deep tanks suck for many reasons. If you have lr or corals or really just all the time, the tank is so deep you can hardly reach the bottom of the tank to clean rearrange etc. I have to stand on a stool that is on a kitchen chair, just to vacuum crap on the substrate. Needless to say I wish I had known that before buying the deep tank. And mine is only 24" deep. Plus stand. Plus canopy. You see where I'm going.

the more time you spend preparing, researching, and shopping for the right equipment at the most reasonable prices, the happier you'll be in the long run. and by happier I mean the tank will be healthier, and you won't be frustrated, and can enjoy the mini-ocean you've worked so hard to build.

Chromis are technically Damsels but are generally peaceful. They are totally reef safe and they go well with alot of other fish, except aggressive ones. :twisted:

I have 3 Chromis and they school.
They are tank mates to a Shrimp Goby, Banggai Cardinalfish, and Purple Firefish.

They are very active fish. keeps the tank looking busy. Sometimes they look blue-ish sometimes they are green-ish.

Back
Top Bottom