Starting on the Discus adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Got an opportunity I couldn't say no to.

Can't believe I actually have something to post about in the Cichlid section!!!!!

Discus have been a fish I remember seeing in early years maybe when I was about 8. A whole tank with them wild caught and it was like I was the size of a toddler at the Aquarium in front of a tank the size of a 20 foot tall wall of glass at the shark exhibit... (except Discus :) )me looking up at these huge amazing fish unique pattern and blue color. (I started with guppies from a farm water trough a little bit before that, back then.) I was in Awe!

Magnificent and majestic.

Pics tomorrow, exclusive release today on my watering hole (200 posts or more) thread
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...the-mysterious-corner-in-the-yard-355185.html

Turquoise 7" & 8" Maybe a red Turquoise from pics I see, still working on names of colors and patterns (and probably will be for awhile).

2 fish to start. Has been a fish shuffle and have a few more to move this week. Tank is around 81-82F One school of Cories will move and the Neon Tetras.

I was honored and blessed to get these wonderful, beautiful fish. Tank was ready for new inhabitants. And it was a big surprise!

Feel free to share your Discus pics and stories!!!

Ohhhh boy! Down the rabbit hole for autumn:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was planning an a year or so!!!

They were in a breeder tank set up and I was never intending to have two all by themselves, but since they have already lives most of their life that way I figured it wouldn't be a big deal for them to wait a little bit longer for some companions.

Someone around here imports stunning Discus a few times a year and cherry picks the best and sell of the rest, which are still much better than nearly anything from the lfs private or not. So I will need to get some decent sized ones for them to befriend as I understand they would bully the half dollar sized ones. "Which is what I had planned to get for a group in a little larger tank.

My searching is hoping to yield a deal like T-Bone got!!!

Looking for a huge tank now, been looking for around 6 months pretty frequently, and around a year off and on specifically for a huge bowfront, now though I am open to rectangle huge size too. For the steal deal! I wished I had had a couple thousand spare dollars last year as there was a 3000G tank for sale. Yeah, wow!

They are warm water fish 84F is good and 86F they like a lot and necessary for easier breeding.

Atm my tank will be at the lower point (is 80F lowest) of keeping them at 82F because I need to remove the Neons and a school of Cories - about 6 Peppers which are not keen on high temps, the Bronze will be alright from my reading. Also will be getting some Albino Cories is the same person has any left in a couple weeks when I have more money, also a AC 110 in good condition.

As for tank size through all my reading and listening to keepers, it seems that yes they can be in a smaller tank for breeding and yes they like to have a group of around 5 or more, and the tank size is very important as is excellent water parameters, and water changes for them to grow properly from a smaller size.

An auto water change system is what they were on before, 10% per day and periodic times when they got 25% per day for a while just to get the tanks cleaned out I guess. He had 10% and 25% per day option to set it at.

So easily distracted, oops though the pics were posted here

Text pic I got when I found out these guys needed a home!
60074-albums11380-picture71038.jpg

Pics from the first night with moon lights making them really glow.

60074-albums11380-picture71023.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture71026.jpg

Got a decent pic still under the lower light with a lot of blues - 2nd night
This is the lighter colored one, which seems more inquisitive /less shy.
60074-albums11380-picture71039.jpg

I just looked over and see her watching me again, and wow, what a beautiful sight, so huge and so magnificent, and the brightly colored male just popped his head out and immediately went back to hiding.

Wow.

Definitely need to rescape the tank. I need to look at some experienced breeders display tanks and see how they use their DW. It is pretty crowded for swimming space in there, though they came from a 40G breeder tank (I think). Probably didn't swim too much and need to build up some muscles.

Thank you all, hardly though this day would come especially so soon.

I have one fish which has some fin rot. I have added 2 full 4x12 bags full of media I was planning to put into the canister filter when I clean it.

Welcome to cichlids! You won't regret it, but your friends and family may wonder what happened to you when you've spent several days in a row watching your fish and forgetting the outside world exists. Your discus are nice looking fish.

Welcome to cichlids! You won't regret it, but your friends and family may wonder what happened to you when you've spent several days in a row watching your fish and forgetting the outside world exists. Your discus are nice looking fish.

Glad to here that's a common problem. I thought I was the only one...

Thank you!

:)

I saw this pic on Pinterest, is this what they look like?. View attachment 296985

Yes that would be a male, just less bright red. Female is less brightly colored.

They are still alive.

I feel like I am a bit over stressed about them. The one with the fin rot on the edge of his back tail looked a little better today. Though I may need to do some med dips.

Definitiely need to remove a large spiky DW in the center and make room for them to swim around more.

They still are staying in the lower flow area where the intake is they get spooked from the rushing flow from the outflow so say the right 1/3 and I feel bad that there is so much flow.

I am considering getting the other AC 110 then putting 2 of those on there instead of the FX-5, the Discus probably wouldn't like that either.

This will be "their" tank until I get a larger one. All other fish needs considered after theirs. After this next weekend there will be more room to move the other fish to the 46G. Rearrange this Friday or Sunday.

This Saturday is the Colorado Aquarium Society Spring Auction. A couple members are Discus breeders and sometimes there have been Discus ordered from the fish distibutors for the sale. So a little excited for the fun day and to help out.

This reads like a nervous new mom. It sure sounds like you are doing everything within your means to insure their health and wellbeing. I hope they come out and peak at you to say hi!

LOL, yes it does sound like that!!!

They have peeked out just for a 30 second to maybe a minute or 2.

LOL,

I see some really FAT Cories in the tank, I think all the pwc's have caused some plump females :eek:

You've resisted the cichlid darkside for long enough. Not sure why you tortured yourself, but now I believe the floodgates will be open for other cichlid tanks. Looking forward to your gawgeous discus pics.

You've resisted the cichlid darkside for long enough. Not sure why you tortured yourself, but now I believe the floodgates will be open for other cichlid tanks. Looking forward to your gawgeous discus pics.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Tomorrow is the CAS Spring Auction and although I am helping I will have my eagle eye out for intereting things.

Not much more than what I have already will be good tankmates for the Discus.

I did some reading and found that the Green Neon Tetras can be in higher heat water even though their cousins the regular Neons don't like it.

They don't get as large as the Cardinals, so I may decide to wait and just buy 20 of them. I think they are something around 10 for $25 last time I checked. They are usually available in the "jumbo" size.

Still keeping the tank at ~82F for another week since their hasn't been a great time to re arrange the tank.

The male Discus has a touch of fungal looking fin rot and it seems better at the ends of the tail are healed and look normal, with a couple areas within the fin and tail with some white.

edit - he just came out to swim and the lowere end of the tail and dorsal tip look worse now than they did this morning. So deciding about a dip. Feeling like catching him and the dip will be more stressful than the whole tank but That is a big step, at least to me to do that.

Did a 50% pwc and the parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10

pH 6.5

KH turns yellow as I add the first drop
GH didnt test, but it has been around 8-10

82F

The other fish look well

TBH I have never tested so much in my life to try and keep these guys in top conditions. Since I have had them they have been in top tank parameters.

Right before I got them the person is moving and I think the helper to feed is maybe feeding more than they should and that the water may not have been in perfect condition even though there was a daily 10% change and then with the travel and acclimating stressed out fish. I had been told ahead of time what their tank parameters were, and had already dumped their water when I thought to check. They came home in half their tank and half new fresh water.

Been feeding them their black worms almost every day (plus other foods), have just one more serving for tomorrow night.

Those worms are disgusting. Smelly and have to change their water about every 18 hours (fine at 12 hours, too long at 24 hours, water gets cloudy)

Thinking they better enjoy frozen food soon.

Canister filter cleanout now while I think it through.

Back
Top Bottom