Starting over advice? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drea

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all...

We had a 46 gallon (approx.) tall/half-moon community tank that's been up & running perfectly since August. Had tetras, mollies, and a pair of platy plus a few molly fry.

We went away for a long weekend and had someone look after our tank (they had specific instructions written out). Anyway, came back and everyone but 1 small fry & 1 tetra were dead. The tetra had a horrible case of cottony growth, and per my lfs I tried the Maracyn combo but it was too late. We have now lost everyone and are pretty devastated.

I've tossed the plants, filter cartridges and media, boiled and bleached the gravel, scrubbed with sea salt, and run a heavy bleach/water solution in the tank for 24 hours.

Is there anything else I need to do before setting out to re-cycle the tank as if it were brand new? We aren't in a hurry, but do want to start over.

Thanks for any advice & sorry for the long post! :)

I would say you are good to go. Just make sure to rinse everything really good to remove the bleach. Don't get too disappointed, we all have tragedies like this. Look at it as an opportunity. Get it set up and running and let it cycle. Do you have a test kit? What are you going to stock in it when it is ready?

Thanks for the encouragement. I can't help but think if we had stayed home this wouldn't have happened. Argh.

Yes on the test kit, was testing weekly right from the start.

And not entirely sure what to put in yet...ideas are welcome!

You could do so many different kinds of tanks. A planted community with small tetras, cories, shrimps, rasboras, and other small community fish. You could do 2 angels, tetras, and cories, you can do african cichlids, or even a few of the smaller souther Americans like festivum, keyhole, and rams. What are some of your favorites? Have to tried anything other than what you had before?

What was it they did or didn't did which caused the kill off?

I guess they didn't check the tank very well. She said that "one of the little ones disappeared" the first day we were gone. I really have no idea, but the ammonia levels were awful when I tested upon return, and it looked like some sort of fuzzy growth.

You could do so many different kinds of tanks. A planted community with small tetras, cories, shrimps, rasboras, and other small community fish. You could do 2 angels, tetras, and cories, you can do african cichlids, or even a few of the smaller souther Americans like festivum, keyhole, and rams. What are some of your favorites? Have to tried anything other than what you had before?

I grew up with huge saltwater tanks, but don't want to undertake that until I'm in a bigger place. I have a 120gal with an Oscar (he lives with my mom). One suggestion from my lfs was exotic goldfish - Shubunkin, I think - but not sure I have room for that. I really like the idea of a well-planted tank and a couple of larger fish...but cichlids might be fun, too. I'm torn!

Back
Top Bottom