Starting over with 37 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Number1cookie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, Oscar has a new home and I have a new tank lol. I am planning on doing a planted, angel fish tank.

I have put the fert stuff (oscamote how ever you spell it lol) and PFS on top of it.

I used media from the old tank to jump start the cycle. Water tests are right on the money (Whoo hoo!!)

I ordered some plants on eBay and waiting for them to come in. Was at petsmart today picking up my youngest son's new Betta fish and saw a moss ball and just had to have it (my poor tank looks so sad and bare lol)

I need to paint the back but was not thinking to do that before I put the tank back up (facepalm) so now I need to figure out how to do it up against the wall (about 4 inches of space ugh)

So here is a pic, all comments and feedback wanted, needed, and appreciated!!!

My tank is in the kitchen as you can see lol

Attachments

• image-2803424910.jpg
    image-2803424910.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 74
Nice! I like the stand too. Just FYI, your tank is going to test well now because there isn't an ammonia source to start the cycle (either from fish or from you adding ammonia). Once fish get in there it will be different. How are you going to cycle? The link below in my signature (Guide to starting a FW aquarium) will have more info.

Since there isn't fish in there you could drain it and then pull it from the wall and paint it.

What plants did you end up getting? What light is going to be on the tank (a major factor in whether your plants will do well and whether you'll need to dose additional fertilizers and/or Co2).

I will have to look up what I bought, can't remember now lol. They were low maintenance plants though. Figured I would start with easy ones first.

As far as lights I have not bought the bulb yet. Have to wait till pay day lol. Any suggestions would be great.

I am using the old media and filter that was used in the tank when the Oscar was in there. I hope that helps establish it with good bb?

I will probably paint it when I do my next water change.

Tank update :)

Well, have a couple amazon swords, moss ball, ferns, and small grass in the tank. Have been holding out for some angels from a local breeder. *fingers crossed*. May be a few more weeks on the fish though.. Slow and steady wins the race.

Started painting the back of the tank today. Using semi gloss exterior black paint. Just did my second coat a few mins ago. Probably needs at least two more then I think I will be happy with it.

Will post a pic in a few I am on my iPad right now and the pic is on my iPhone lol

How have you been feeding the bacteria colony in the biological filter post-transfer of the media? I would be careful restocking that tank going forward and treat it like a newly cycled tank, not one that could house the bioload of an Oscar.

I have that same tank. It's housing a m/f pair of Bolivian Rams, an unsexable pair of Angels and a shoal of Panda Cory's and Otto cats. Apongenton plants do well in that tall tank and make good background plants for the upper-levels and the Angelfish. I would recommend doing the bottle trick on those HOB's. My Aquaclear 50's were pushing the Angelfish around, and they were spending 100% of their time on the bottom level of the tank as a result. They swim around the entire tank since I've limited the outflow.

Finally I picked up my new plant light, had just the stock light before. This is the one I got, any good?? Said it was a t8

Attachments

• image-513266863.jpg
    image-513266863.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 64
Been a while since I posted so thought I would start with an update :) amazon swords are going nuts lol. Having fu. With all the plants. Husband bought me two angel fish about two weeks go. They are starting to settle in.

The last pic is of the Chinese algae eater. He won stay much longer, he is a little too territorial for the angels

Attachments

• image-4271067137.jpg
    image-4271067137.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2319509724.jpg
    image-2319509724.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image-751286401.jpg
    image-751286401.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 49
  • image-3322704532.jpg
    image-3322704532.jpg