Starting small Planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish-oh-fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank size-
19/9/12(lbh in inches)

Lighting- Single 18W CFL Tube specs-
Tube specs are-
Philips 18W Tubular Fluorescent TL-D 18W/54
length 60cm
Light o/p-1015lumens
6500k cool daylight
56.4lm/W

Substrate- River sand from LFS

CO2- DIY Yeast+Sugar in 2ltr bottle
intake by Airstone(confused :confused:) or syringe needle?

Filter- I got SOBO 650lt/hr which in all means an overkill but what If i put DIY spraybar to outlet to reduce flow?
Or I should think getting new small capacity one?
I got 3 choices at LFS-
Sobo WP-1050F
Sobo HOB 303
Sponge filter

there's nothing lower than it.

Plans-
I will be doing low tech setup with- Dwarf grass, Rotala rotundifolia,Cabomba caroliniana
Fishes will be-guppies,tetras,danninos, shrimps (maybe)

Doubts-
1. Is lighting sufficient? Duration after planting & during fish cycling process?
Current temps in morning/afternoon around-30C's
2. Advise on filter?
3. As tank will be kept in bedroom & without AC it's like hush...hushh... in night during summer do i need heater specifically? AC runs around 4-5hrs with temps set on 20 & that too thrice a week or lesser depending on weather
4. "When planting only 10% of tank space should be left open rest should be filled with plants"--this quote I read many times is it so?

You ll get responses or you can PM some of the more knowledgable members. I m new to this so can t really advise you but, I ve gotten extensive help from people on this forum since I set my first tank up 4 months ago. Also, read the stickies in the different forums. Good luck with your tank. I m about to set up a 29g low light planted myself because apparently one tank isn t enough :). Have fun & please post pics when you re done!

You should figure out a better way to diffuse your co2. I haven't, as well as others, had success through this method. Try a chopstick at the end of the tube or running it into the intake of your filter.

The lighting may be ok for low light, I can't remember how big your tank is. So don't quote me. Usually 6-8 is a good starting point. Some people run them as long as 12.

Do you have plans for dosing with fertilizer?

I've never heard that quote in number 4.

Back
Top Bottom