Starting small zoo tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a bunch of frags and assorted zoos. Im planning on turning this tank into a zoo only tank. I have 35 lbs of live rock on the way in the mail. The tank is plummed into my main display and another 20 gal sump refuge.

Just looking for any tips on adding the rock, and if I should add anything else to the tank such as filters and stuff.

Attachments

• Photo_C418F680-84A9-ADD3-AA86-A90CB56BAF0C.jpg
    Photo_C418F680-84A9-ADD3-AA86-A90CB56BAF0C.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 258
Since the tank is plumbed to your main, make sure you fully cure that LR before putting it in the tank, otherwise it'll cause a cycle to occur from all the die-off from shipping.

Just use a rubbermaid tub, trash can, or something (Clean) and keep the rock fully submerged and with a powerhead and a heater running. Give it about a week and monitor ammonia and nitrIte levels during the process. When it all zeros out (just like when you cycled your tank) it's safe to go in.

Is it ok to use regular de-clorinated water for the bin to cycle the rock? Or should I use RO? I have an RO, but its slow. At the rate I use the water for the tanks I have I dont think I will have 15 gal by the time the rock gets here. So pretty much if I need to use RO water I will have to go buy it, I would like to save the trip. I have the conditioner and that nitrate remover stuff, but I never know how much it actually does with the water.

You could use dechlorinated tap water for curing the rock, just make sure you keep it out of light. Your going to have TONS of nutrients in the water anyway from the curing process so a little tap water isn't going to make a difference.

Should I be doing water changes in the bin? The water is looking pretty brown. Yesterday it was a faint yellow, now you almost cant see through it. Not sure if this is good or bad, never cycled rock outside a tank before and they always have filters.

Yes, you should be doing water changes in the bin. I would change out the water every other day or so, and when you change the water, take the time to scrub the rock really well to get rid of any dead/dying organic material. It's a long smelly process.

How long you talking. I bought it fully cured and the shiping is the only time any die off happened. Is the shipping enough to kill everyhting and start from new? There is a ton of plant algea growing from the rock. Not sure what type or if it is even algea. The rock is cured in the ocean, then taken out when its shipped. I dont know if I should remove it or leave it. And if I scrub the rock, should I go right down to bare surface? I ask because there is algea, some coraline it seems (because it is purple) on the rock. Should It be scrubbed?

i would try to get off any green algae, and if i scraped off the coralline with it, i wouldn't lose sleep. i know everyone wants purple rocks, but it will come in time whether you scrub those rocks or not. you won't be efficient enough to remove all the coralline anyway. some will remain.
and yes, there will be die off from shipping. think of it the opposite way: imagine if you were shipped to fiji, submerged in water the entire time. what kind of condition would you be in when you got there? well, that's how some of those creatures on that rock that are meant to be under water their entire lives are going to be when they get to you.

Yes, yes I know. So time wise Im good when nitrates hit zero, and this could take any amount of time. Should I do a full water change or a partal water change everyother day? Am I still good to use declorinated tap water for the change? Also should I scrub the rock everyother day with the water change?

Here is the best pic I could get of that plant algea. Not sure what it is, but Im going to change the water and scrub the rock, should I remove it?

Attachments

• Photo_D3857B03-F6DC-7476-A496-4B163FAA1EE7.jpg
    Photo_D3857B03-F6DC-7476-A496-4B163FAA1EE7.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 153
Man Im asking a lot of questions, I know I sound like an idiot, sorry.

These are some pics of the test I did a little while ago. I also did a drip of the nitrate and got basically the same result. Was going to snap a few pics but dumped the vile not thinking. Anyways, am I good? Or is this just something thats going to rise then fall.

I did the water change and scrubbing early yesterday morning. The rock has been in bin for a total of 4 days with powerhead and heater.

Attachments

• Photo_8571DE6F-A184-9823-15ED-4AD2CB66B3DA.jpg
    Photo_8571DE6F-A184-9823-15ED-4AD2CB66B3DA.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Photo_BBCB7EE4-528F-B11D-3A4F-23B12458F19B.jpg
    Photo_BBCB7EE4-528F-B11D-3A4F-23B12458F19B.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 128
Dont have the ammonia or nitrite drip test. The second one down on the strip is nitrite and it seems low.

ammonia and nitrite are the important tests. i would make sure the parameters are right. for 20-25 bucks, you can have all of the test kits. you NEED them for this hobby.
i would not subject my system to that rock until i knew for sure.

i wouldn't. in a pinch they are better than nothing, but i'd rather use them on my swimming pool than my reef!

Just tested the ammoina. Apparently I had the test kit. I found test kits for calcium, nitrate, ammonia, ph, and alk. I knew I bought them at some point. Ive just been doing quick test strips every few weeks, totally forgot about the kits.

Anyway ammoina is at 1.0 so looks like I got some more waiting to do. How long does this usually take?

i believe it depends how much dead stuff is on the rock to begin with, but probably a couple weeks to a month, tops.

Back
Top Bottom