Starting some "distribution" tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a little business endeavor. I've spoken about it with my brother and we both agree it would be a fun thing to do on the side of working this summer. I'm thinking I'll either get a whole bunch of 10 gallons and grow specific species in each, or just get 55/20g together and grow a bunch of species in there. I don't expect to make much profit really, but I think it'll have four benefits:

1) I'll learn a ton about a lot of plants
2) I'll have the most fun any hobbyist could ask for
3) I'll make a few bucks
4) If all else fails, I'll have multiple tanks with a lot of plants :-D

Doing so, I think I'd be up for all dirt tanks like I have in my 10g. I need to do loads of research on plants, and I guess I'd grow low to medium light. I have always kind of wanted to do this, and now I want to do it even more because I notice how plants seem to fly out of people's tanks to be sent to others. I'm going to start extremely small, obviously, and see where I can go from there. I'm sure it's a lot harder than I think, but it will be a very worthwhile experience. Honestly, I don't know much about plants compared to many in the hobby, but every single day I learn so much from the folks on here and from what's going on in my own aquarium. The more research I do, the more knowledgeable I get.

I don't mean to seem like I'm advertising a service in this thread, because that isn't my intention. I am pretty serious about this, and I'd like this thread to build with guidance and insight. I'd love to share the experience with you through pictures and what not. My goal right now is to enjoy it all for what it is and see where it could possibly take me. I'm not worried about failure, as I'll make sure my investments are minimal (used equipment, baby). Failing at it will be part of the learning process. It would be nice, though, to have someone think, "I want to buy plants from THAT guy." You never know...ya know?

I'll keep you updated!

See what I mean? Everyone's selling :-D. I'd most likely shy away from my AA companions; your advice warrants nothing but shipping. The commoners, well...;-). We'll talk about that when I cross that bridge.

Haha... That was my motivation for my 125. I was actually talking with fort last night about using my 150 just for growing plants to sell, and having my 125 and 40 as DT's. It's a great market, especially if you have high quality and stand behind your stuff. I know you are all too familiar with companies who don't exactly please the customer (ie not shipping stuff for a long time)... That's always a big deal. Especially for those like me who are very impatient.

Haha... That was my motivation for my 125. I was actually talking with fort last night about using my 150 just for growing plants to sell, and having my 125 and 40 as DT's. It's a great market, especially if you have high quality and stand behind your stuff. I know you are all too familiar with companies who don't exactly please the customer (ie not shipping stuff for a long time)... That's always a big deal. Especially for those like me who are very impatient.

Definitely. I really do think there is money to be made. My brother and I both agreed that even if we don't make money, it'd be very cool to have grow out tanks for my own personal use.

Also, we are making a website. It's going to be really cool. Like I said, ya never know! Take a look at Facebook :-D.

Sounds like a great experience to me! Last week I sold some of my son's guppy fry through craigslist and had a guy respond to the ad asking if I had anything else for sale. Ended up selling him some RCS and some Rotala clippings in exchange for some Mollies for my son's tank plus $20. It was actually kind of fun! Made me contemplate selling plants on Craigslist again sometime. The petstores around here do not have a great plant selection; the closest store with plants is about 30-40mins away. None of the LFSs have any shrimp other then bamboo shrimp or ghosts either.

And the heavy plant research begins. I already have 4 species in mind, which are 4 that I am currently keeping. I'm thinking of maybe keeping 10-15 species total, so I'll have to figure out if I should get one huge tank or a bunch of little ones. I know it could be difficult to grow some plants together due to allelopathy. The Water Sprite is actually growing like mad, and my Java Fern puts out a lot of buds; for the first time today I took one off and planted it just to see how fast it grows. Rotala Indica I will definitely keep, and a few Crypts as well. My C. lucens is a slow grower, but they are nice and "bushy".

I'd like to stay within the same spectrum of lighting I have now. My dosing of Excel and Flourish seems to be working great in accordance with it, so I see no downside just yet (seeing a little algae but not bad, I'll post that in my 10g thread).

As far as how I am researching, I'm compiling various folders that contain 10+ websites with "testimonials" and individual profiles on the various plant species, so I can average in how to grow them properly in my tank and become knowledgeable on the species that I grow. Not looking to grow any crazy species, just ones that are fast growing even by low light standards and ones that are relatively easy to care for. Again, not expecting a huge profit by any standards. All for the fun and a just a little for the dime!

Please, feel free to point out any flaws or shortcomings in my plan. Thanks guys and I love you for all your guidance.

Okay, so far I have 8 species decided:

That I have grown:

Rotala rotundifolia (or Indica, synonymous at times I just learned...)
Microsorum pteropus “Java Fern”...everyone's favorite plant ;-)
Ceratopteris thalictroides “Water Sprite”
Cryptocoryne lucens
Sagittaria subulata

New to me:
Cryptocoryne undulata
Cryptocoryne wendtii (not sure which I'd go for yet, the reds are nice)
Hygrophila polysperma

Seem to be all popular plants and most allow easy propagation.

I have wendtii bronze and wendtii red in my tanks and really like both of those.

I 2nd the vote for ludwigia replens. Java moss might be a good idea as well.

I think you should look at growing some of the most commonly request plants like blyxa, hc, glosso, etc. I know some guys on the planted tank that are growing HC emersed on pallets and are selling it 100+ square inches at a time.

Blyxa, dhg, hc, hm, glosso are some of the more popular requests I see.

I think you should look at growing some of the most commonly request plants like blyxa, hc, glosso, etc. I know some guys on the planted tank that are growing HC emersed on pallets and are selling it 100+ square inches at a time.

Blyxa, dhg, hc, hm, glosso are some of the more popular requests I see.

Will look into that as well, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom