Starting to notice an Ich outbreak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just noticed ich in my fry grow out tank a few hours ago. That's what I get for going on holiday!

Over how many days did it take you to raise the temp to 86 from the original starting temp?

I did it over a period of 2 days from a Temperature of 78 Degrees to 89 Degrees. I've never bred any fish, so i'm not sure if the Fry are less tolerant of large heat changes over time.

I am still noticing a couple of spots on my diamond tetra. It is day 10 of heat and salt treatment. I am currently at 86 degrees and dosing one tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons. Should I increase my temp until day 14 to totally get rid of it. I don't want to stress my fish out. I have 6 corries, 6 diamond tetras, 4 rainbow fish, 7 neons and a bn pleco. It the heat to high for any of those species?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You are having progress and most likely near the end of the ich cycle. I wouldn't make any changes.

LyndaB said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You are having progress and most likely near the end of the ich cycle. I wouldn't make any changes.

Agree! It is going in the right direction, remember, patience.

I am now currently on day 14 heat has been at 88 for a couple of days and still doing salt. I am still noticing 1 or two dots on my diamond tetra. Could this still be ich? Maybe that is just a marking on his tail fin. I wanted to start lowering the temp tomorrow but not sure if I should. Need advice on what to do. I do not see anything any other fish in my tank.

I thought I read somewhere that you should keep treating Ich for 1-2 weeks after you notice all of the spots are gone. So if spots are gone after week two, treat for 1-2 more weeks. Here's one source, but it isn't the one I initially read: Aquarium Ich: Ichthyophthirius multifilis & Cryptocaryon treatment, identification, life cycle.

"As with the salt method, you need to maintain the high temperatures at least 3-5 days beyond the disappearance of the last white spots."

Currently on Day 9 of my treatment. Ick seems to have disappeared from my tank, as I'm not seeing any new white spots on my fish. Although i'm sure theres still some floating around, to weak to attach onto new fish, so i'm going to continue the treatment for another week. My Guppy and my remaining Platy seem a little banged up. My Guppy has some pretty bad Fin rot, and the scales on my platy are pocketmarked from the Ick. I'm dosing Melafix to help solve the problem, and although some people say its snake oil, its better than nothing.

Im getting impatient because my plants are starting to look different and my corries don't do much anymore. Its been 14 days with heat and salt. What should I do if the few dots are still there after 3 days. I raised my temp a little more today to about 89.

Maybe 12 days above 86. The ich should be gone right? I had my temp up to 89-90 for the last 3 days. I lowered it a little this morning. All I see is one dot on one of my diamond tetras. Its been there for like a week. Im not even sure it is ich it might must be a birthmark or something.

I think there is a point I should stop my plants are starting to take a toll with the heat and salt, my corries stay in their cave all day I do not to do further damage. I can go back to normal and see if the ich comes back. Idk

Maybe 12 days above 86. The ich should be gone right?

Reduce your heat to 86 but I'd leave it there for a few days. If in a few days time, that lone spot is still there, then it is most likely not ich.

While the ich would probably be gone in most scenarios, it doesn't look like that's the case for you.

I leaning towards that it is a marking on the fish. I will leave my temp at 86 until Thursday. Then I will gradually reduce the temp and discontinue salt. Why do u think in my case all my ich is not gone?

I can't say for sure. It may be that you did fewer gravel vacs than are recommended, could be your water quality out of the tap, there are too many variables to really venture a guess.

Just like with cycling a tank, some people may be cycled in 4 weeks, it could take you 6 weeks.

The white dots your noticing might just be parts of the fish's scales that have been damaged from the ick. two of my fishes have that, but they aren't flashing or showing other symptoms of ich.

I did a gravel vac. Every other day for two weeks. My water parameters are 0 for amm and nitrite, 10 for nitrate

Back
Top Bottom