starting up new tank...questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilovemydragongoby

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm looking into picking up a 55gal today. i have to cycle it and i was going to move my fish my 20 to the 55. to speed up the process...can i use the water and all the decorations and filter and just put it in the 55. and the new water for the difference? will that work since i'm using all established stuff?

I would still cycle the water and make sure you test the water.

Are you going to be tearing down the 20 gal? If so, run the filter from that on the 55g along with the filter you are going to keep on the 55g permanently. Add some substrate in a media bag and hang it in the tank. Any decor or plants from the established 20g will help speed the process up. I would add your fish slowly if you have a lot in the 20g.

well, the 20 is overstocked i admit...we have a BGK some cherry barbs and mollies. we're not sure how we're doing it yet. if we're going to tear down the 20 and put them all in the 55 or if we're just going to moving the ghost knife. but if we tear down the entire thing can i use the water from the 20gal?

you can use the water but it won't do anything... all your good bacteria is in the filter, substrate, decorations, and some on the sides of the tank. if you are not tearing down the 20g i would recommend letting the 55g fully cycle with some of the used media from your 20g (a mesh bag of gravel or some of the filter media) before adding any fish

Back
Top Bottom