Starting With Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmacc99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been running without problems for the past 9 months FOWLR. All my basic parameters are good and I now want to start adding corals. My calcium test kit indicates a calcium content of 340. I have read about alkalinity being important. How do I test for alkalinity? How do I raise the calcium level to the proper 400 level? Alkalinity?......Thanks for your replies.

Well there is several ways. Some of us keep it in check by doing weekly PWC`s. For some that does not work because their salt mix does not increase trace elements like calcium. They need to supplement calcium and other trace elements. But dont ever supplement anything that you dont test for first. Buy a good test kit that covers all those things that you need like alk and calcium. You dont want to supplement something that you are already good on. HTH

All my basic parameters are good.
What are they? Specifically pH, nitrate, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

My calcium test kit indicates a calcium content of 340.
Recommended calcium level is between 380-420.

How do I test for alkalinity?
Buy a saltwater alkalinity test kit.

How do I raise the calcium level to the proper 400 level? Alkalinity?
Here are a few basic "must read" reef chemistry articles.
Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System

Thanks for the information. My pH is 8.2, nitrate 10ppm, calcium 340, alkalinity 8KH, magnesium ?. I will buy a Mg kit and get everything in the designated parameters before adding corals....Thanks

i just recently started to add corals and think they are doing okay. my polyps are now at full bloom and the polyps i glued to my rock are blooming, the one super glued to my fingers was covered in glue but there seems to be a new polyp growing on its top. my leather coral has started to shed.

btw, i got a xenia today, the rock has some very short very stiff red/green hairs on it, is this a type of hair algea? its not soft at all, its like a few patches of 15 test fishing line and about as high as 2 pennies stacked.

Back
Top Bottom