Starting with fish - ending up with morays and a beautiful octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr787

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody.

I thought some of you might find it interesting to see some more unusual animals in the tank at home.

I started a few months ago with a 30g tank because I dive and snorkel almost everyday here, since I live in the Caribbean right at the beach and I always wanted a saltwater aquarium.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/96/l_40cd03c390354dd29dd2a3e0233c9072.jpg

Soon I will upgrade to a much bigger tank but I am going to move this week, so I didn't wanted to get it before that.

Anyways. Long story short. I started to catch al kind of fish and learned alot studying them in my tank and reading everything about every single one online. I started with tab water and switched to real ocean water later since it is very very clean here and easy to get for me. If I see a interesting fish which is small enough for the aquarium, I catch it and keep it or just study and enjoy it for a few days before I bring it back home. Most fishes always stay on the same spot in the ocean, so it is easy to find them again later if I have to.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_a87d66f8879a46cd97e25fb9bef86078.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/77/l_9e87137d91de4e11b371d39bf40f4832.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/108/l_77e92cc6aa274192962d46e50980a027.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/84/l_5e35688cc85d497e9b9e6767b7144778.jpg

Meanwhile I also have another small tank for quarantine because of the ich parasite we had in the main tank where we keep some fish. In the main tank I have no more fish right now because I totally fell in love with morays and all unusual animals in a tank.

When I bought the aquarium I also got a snowflake moray which is the only thing at all which ius not rom the ocean in the tank. Later I saved 2 chainlink morays from dyeing. It was interesting to see what happend when I first introduced another moray to the tank with the snowflake, since it was not used to other morays ever. At first the snowflake was really aggressive toward the new morays (all babies and small enough for the tank). After one month suddenly I found them side by side looking out of the same tube. I am using underground tubes for the morays to make sure they feel good in there and they love them.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/96/l_5fa025c6bfc844a19dc370c8bb0e1fbd.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/68/l_7a740f169e9144df948d349a62234991.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/68/l_c97ba69d0ce94bff8ee1ec083205aff8.png

A few weeks later I decided to let one of the chainlinks go again because it was already bigger and you could really see that it want to get back to the ocean, swimming around alot looking for an exit. So everytime a fish really dont feel home there, I bring it back. On the same day I found a nice spot for the chainlink in the coral reef, I got rewarded and catched my first Goldentail moray. Also still very young. It was getting best friends right away with the snowflake and they spend every second together :).

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/68/l_aa5fba6b1af94dbea4e3c98f6c9e4fa7.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/88/l_2b0aec10d5c5459bb504d2c4e2b73453.jpg

Then, I had my best catch ever. A really beautiful spotted moray 1,5 feet in length. I really wanted to bring it home even that I knew the aquarium would be to small. So I changed the 3 morays I had to the small tank to make sure they wont get eat by the big one. I bought bigger tubes at the home depot and I couldn't believe it at first but you could see that the spotted one really liked it in there.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/71/l_816e116a129f4219907f0c00230afa3f.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/93/l_37761913861447f99d2d2de02d6cf4bc.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/65/l_2224a1be0c944c9481f30bb5d85bcbc4.jpg

Still, I knew its too small for it so I promised myself and it, that if I find a baby spotted that would give me a few years to get a huge tank, I would let it free again. It was hard for me to let him go because it was such a powerful looking animal but also very peaceful and calm. I could even take him in my hand and he wouldn't bite me and wasnt even scared of me. It was simply amazing. A few days later i found the perfect spotted baby and I took it home. I found a good spot for the big spotted moray and let it free again. But he wouldn't just hide under a rock. He stayed with me and let me touch him and stroke him. I hope to see him again soon.

The funny thing is that the aquarium have tons of tubes and perfect spots for the morays but all of them like to stay together all the time and it is really cute sometimes to see.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/81/l_dca1d7e9cad84fc4afef664e5c02efdd.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/65/l_01d89273f77046578617814bd8952d76.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/100/l_7c31cba8a2134b3484d7db2e97fdcb1f.jpg

So, since I decided not to have fish for now in the big tank anymore, I was looking for the most amazing thing that I can keep at home. After spending days of reading about other people having this animal, I was looking for a medium size octopus and found it. It was not the first time I catch one, but I never took one home - I just watched them and let them free again in the water.

Anyways, I hoped it will work out because this animal is so **** intelligent and interesting. I saw them doing things in the ocean already most people wouldn't believe.

I have the octopus for 3 days now and he is not scared anymore and dont even change his color when I get closer to watch him. He is in the tank with the 4 morays and they get along great together. In any case, they could always hide in the tubes where the octopus wouldn't fit in - but from what I see it works great and its very peaceful.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/70/l_8a6fd8bf32684f64b77237a1b43845a7.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/94/l_b1bcaa8fd8d04b98bc5709e49ab3bab3.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/109/l_bc5c692f20d44dca9622bbeaa3cd779c.jpg

Im exited to keep the morays and the octopus for a long time and after moving I will get some single fishes again too.

Sorry or my english, but it is not my first language. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

All pics you can see in my private MySpace profile:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums2&friendID=419365272&view=true

great pictures and I love the fact that you can find animals like that from the ocean and release them with no harm.

Beautiful

You have some amazing creatures there. I never knew eels would group up like that.

I don't know what the laws are down in PR, but in many places stateside it is illegal to collect live animals and keep them in an aquarium. Please make sure you're abiding by your local laws.

it doesnt matter here. some idiot are hunting fish even with harpoons
for fun, others at least fish for eating. i dont think it is a problem then to collect some of them to take care of them.

by the way. its been a week now and the octopus is doing great. he lives in harmony with a spotted moray and a goldentail moray and some other fishes and shrimps etc.

i just moved to a new place here also near the beach and i will upload some new pics once internet works in the new place. thank you

4 Baby Morays. But now I have the Spotted and the Goldentail in the 30G Tank with the Octopus and the snowflake in another tank. The other ones are free again. I knew that those comments would come. Always the same people in every forum.

idk about anyone else but i read everysingle thing and it was like a story. well written for english not being your first language. i also like the fact that you release the animals once they get too large. Though the one problem i do see, is that what if these animals were released into the wild and lost their natural instincts to kill and hunt?

thats not true at all. in fact i always visit them almost every day since in nature they almost never leave their "home". i bring them back where i got them from but most of the time i bring them to a saver spot near from there - for example more far away from humans of the beach and possible pollution.

since i always also feed them with living food such as crabs they will never lose their instincts. and since you said the right word INSTINCT - that is something a animal never lose. i watch, study and enjoy fishes and every other animal under the water almost daily for 1-4 hours. i think i know exactly whats good for the animals - more than some guy from new jersey with just a fish tank and possibly never been near to a reef in person ;-)

for example. if i put some crabs (without shell) in the tank, the morays suddenly start to smell them and move around until they find them - sometimes for hours. as much i can i try to copy where they lived before. the aquarium is 100% filled with stuff from the ocean and once a week i get fresh ocean water too.

i just want to share some nice pics of fishes and moray which maybe not everyone (can) have. i also have another tank with some beautiful fishes from which i take a few pictures too soon.

thats not true at all. in fact i always visit them almost every day since in nature they almost never leave their "home". i bring them back where i got them from but most of the time i bring them to a saver spot near from there - for example more far away from humans of the beach and possible pollution.

since i always also feed them with living food such as crabs they will never lose their instincts. and since you said the right word INSTINCT - that is something a animal never lose. i watch, study and enjoy fishes and every other animal under the water almost daily for 1-4 hours. i think i know exactly whats good for the animals - more than some guy from new jersey with just a fish tank and possibly never been near to a reef in person ;-)

for example. if i put some crabs (without shell) in the tank, the morays suddenly start to smell them and move around until they find them - sometimes for hours. as much i can i try to copy where they lived before. the aquarium is 100% filled with stuff from the ocean and once a week i get fresh ocean water too.

i just want to share some nice pics of fishes and moray which maybe not everyone (can) have. i also have another tank with some beautiful fishes from which i take a few pictures too soon.

No no, dont get me wrong, what your doing is freaking awesome. Instinct cannot be taken away as you stated but the instinct to hunt and kill is taken away because food is handed to them.

Releasing them is even more irresponsible than catching them in the first place. How are you sure that there are no pathogens in your tank that you are releasing into the ecosystem?

And sorry, but I find it laughable to say the least that you say you "know exactly what is good for the animals" but you're keeping 4 eels in a 30 gallon.

I'm sure you'll just make some comment after this about people being negative on forums, but on a forum like this where people care about animals, the consensus will likely be that there are few positives about a setup like yours.

I guess i was wrong about the whole instinct thing as HN1 enlightened me, but i still agree 100% with severum mama.

well the 4 eels where all tiny baby eels, except the snowflake who have the same size grown as the other as babys. small enough to keep them in that tank. the 2 chainlink i had are both back in the ocean once they was a little bigger. when i catched them they were both about to die because the waves washed them into pool in the rocks which disappear daily from the sun.

what else than what is already in the ocean could i possibly have if everything - even the water - is from the ocean? nothing would ever effect the ecosystem anyways in this case.

No no, dont get me wrong, what your doing is freaking awesome. Instinct cannot be taken away as you stated but the instinct to hunt and kill is taken away because food is handed to them.

and to that real quick. i offer the same food (live) as in nature. to fishes as well morays. the morays ALWAYS hunt, no matter if i feed them with the stink sometimes. if i had a moray for a few years that would be another case maybe.

Dude, do you know how ignorant this sounds. I mean come on. know one is being mean. But have you ever thought what they might fo in the wild after you release them? what if another diver comes where you released one of those chain link moray eels. The fish has started to lose its natural instinct to fear humans because it looks at humans as a food source because you captured and fed it and released it again. The diver could get bit (and moray bites are not pretty), the diver could intend to kill or capture the eel permanently. And growing too 2 and a half feet long would make for a big bite at that.

Also are you sure you will be able to keep the eels proparly? because 1 snowflake eel need atleast 75 gallons and really needs more than that. And you have 2 eels. Also in time the morays and octopus will become natural predetors. The moray eel will start biting at its legs and eating it.

I saved 2 chainlink morays from dyeing. It was interesting to see what happend when I first introduced another moray to the tank with the snowflake, since it was not used to other morays ever. At first the snowflake was really aggressive toward the new morays (all babies and small enough for the tank). After one month suddenly I found them side by side looking out of the same tube. I am using underground tubes for the morays to make sure they feel good in there and they love them.

This is sad, how do you figure it that your saving the eels when your only tank is a 30 gals? Those eels are now more at risk to death then they ever were, young juvenile eels will grow.

A few weeks later I decided to let one of the chainlinks go again because it was already bigger and you could really see that it want to get back to the ocean

One thing that has always been said is that you never should take these animals from the ocean if your not the proper home for them, then you release them so back into the wild, this isn't the correct thing to do in any case.

Still, I knew its too small for it so I promised myself and it, that if I find a baby spotted that would give me a few years to get a huge tank, I would let it free again. It was hard for me to let him go because it was such a powerful looking animal but also very peaceful and calm. I could even take him in my hand and he wouldn't bite me and wasnt even scared of me. It was simply amazing. A few days later i found the perfect spotted baby and I took it home. I found a good spot for the big spotted moray and let it free again. But he wouldn't just hide under a rock. He stayed with me and let me touch him and stroke him. I hope to see him again soon.

"I could even take him in my hand and he wouldn't bite me and wasnt even scared of me. It was simply amazing."

Small juvenile species you may get away with no bites on your hands, but your no idea other then that the spotted moray appears to be powerful to you, your no idea to just how powerful it will become. The spotted eel when is large enough, will eat the octopus and anything else it wants.

4 Baby Morays. But now I have the Spotted and the Goldentail in the 30G Tank with the Octopus and the snowflake in another tank.

This thread has to be a joke, but not so for those poor animals :(:bawl:

Also in what you say isn't all as true either, for even the SFE will hunt after dust, were as the spotted moray will become a very aggressive hunter and has no limits to what prey it can not take. The spotted eel will if you kept those eels longer enough, you would learn the awful truth to this when it kills all the other eels.

Eels as young juvenile species find safety in numbers, this will change in a matter of time when most eels enter their adult lives, this goes as well for the goldentail moray.

since i always also feed them with living food such as crabs they will never lose their instincts. and since you said the right word INSTINCT - that is something a animal never lose. i watch, study and enjoy fishes and every other animal under the water almost daily for 1-4 hours. i think i know exactly whats good for the animals

Sorry young man, but you seem to understand absolutely nothing for note that those eels are now in the confines of a small tank, in which their food is coming from a human source, nothing to do of their own survival skills as you seem to think it be. Once back in the wild, it becomes a all new ball game if they survive or not. You think its worth the risk for your show-boating these young eels and when they outgrow your 30 gal tank, which will be rather quick, then you leave them for their own chances of survival be placing them back into the ocean, that is cruel.

mcgrady7761, has said a mouth full with those words, and they be correct.

Releasing them is even more irresponsible than catching them in the first place. How are you sure that there are no pathogens in your tank that you are releasing into the ecosystem?

severum mama, he was irresponsible from the start, for he not have the proper tanks for such species

And sorry, but I find it laughable to say the least that you say you "know exactly what is good for the animals" but you're keeping 4 eels in a 30 gallon.

There really be nothing funny in what his done here, and by him doing something as this, all who view this thread will know his absolutely no understanding for those animals.

Quote:

and to that real quick. i offer the same food (live) as in nature. to fishes as well morays. the morays ALWAYS hunt, no matter if i feed them with the stink sometimes. if i had a moray for a few years that would be another case maybe.

Your changing their enviroment from ocean to small tank, and when your no longer able to manage them, you replace them back in the wild, im sorry but that is just so ignorant, You are trying to act here as some eel professional, and your a long way to go before that happens.

Also pr787, this wasn't the first time I seen someone doing as you are, and you most likely you not be the last to do something as this.
And a question for you, what size tank are you going to setup for the spotted moray? I can assume that the filtration system on it will be as cheap as could make it, meaning it will not have a sump and excellent skimmer.

I wish that I never seen this thread :(

god you really have no idea what you are talking about. first of all it doesnt matter if the tank is 30g or 100g if in the 100g you dont build it up with places to hide for the morays. the 30g tank i have have a layer of underground systems with tubes and natural parts like rocks. i DO KNOW A LOT about morays since i really spend some time diving EVERY DAY and i come back to all morays i know in each area and i know how they act free and in the aquarium.
if you would read right you would have seen that the big spotted is back in the ocean since a long time already and i just kept it for several days. for your information it was BIG - more than 1,5 ft and it was the most peaceful one ever. i also interact with bigger ones in the ocean and every single moray act the same. im pretty sure you dont spend the time i spend in the ocean with them to know what you are talking about.

morays like any fish are way more intellegent as some of you people who never have been in the ocean think. the same a fish learns to eat from the food getting into the aquarium, they dont forget or start to learn to eat when they are free.

one thing i heared here a few times already was that it
is irresponsible to catch them. where the f... you think your aqarium fishes are coming from when you BUY them out of TINY TANKS from dealers? they are cached live as well...

my god. the question is who is ignorant here. i provide those animals with the best equipment and food in the tank because i know how they live, move and eat in the ocean and they even get living food as they love it.

so stop talking sh.t just because you need to say something and go back to your fake aquariums with your fishes and liverocks you bought. you all would LOVE to have the chance to to what i do.

thats what happens if you want to share some cool pics with gringos. freaky american brainwashed people. always have to play the teacher and point their fingers on other ones.

i dont waste any more time in this crappy forum. there are way better ones where people SHARE.

adios

i dont waste any more time in this crappy forum. there are way better ones where people SHARE.

Cya pal. People on this forum that have twice the experience you do. We might not have as much diving experience as you do but we OBVIOUSLY care about our animals more then you do. These morays will exceed 3 feet. So yes they do need a bigger tank to swim and stretch out. MORE then a 100 gallon even. So please go away and stop telling us how ignorant we are and end the end just telling us how STUPID you are. And by the way, you can ask anyone here and they will tell you that they buy aquaculture stuff, nothing else. Which means it was grown/breed in captivity, NOT in the wild like your doing. So yes go away because we don't want to hear about you killing your pets. And there is no need for you to do the stupid american thing, that's just rude and stupid.

Your like a child with a toy.

First off, what the more experianced people here are saying is correct because they do infact have a little something called *experience* in these situations. After rigorous testing and evaluations. And to boot, i find it funny how every single non-american who finds what "We Americans" say to be the result of us being brainwashed, thinks that. I do believe that you in this case for insulting people here in this forum and calling us ignorant, makes YOU the ignorant one, just because you dont hear what you want to hear. There is not a doubt in my mind that people here find what you have is very exciting and cool at the very least, but they ALSO know the difference between being responsible and doing what you did. Which IS the irresponsible thing to do. Btw, the reason that the eels you had GOT that big in the first place, is because they were LIVING in the ocean. Not a 30 gallon tank. I can almost guarentee you that if you had kept them they would have died shortly after. I am completely aware that moray eels live a VERY long time, and im almost 100% positive that they would not have survived even a fraction of the years that they could in the wild, if they were in your tank still.

So you know what, GO have fun finding other forums, or places were you can share your idiocy ideas. We dont want you here anyways if your just going to insult us. Just be aware that wherever you go, you will get laughed at for doing things such as this.

Good Luck.

Four eels in a 30 gal tank??!!! Who is the Ignorant person here? YOU!!! Im sorry to say!

You think just because their in their juvenile stages that it matters not on the large mix of eels you have in so small a tank. Were as if you really knew what you were doing, you know that not all eels can be mix in together as tank mates.

It was like one lfs that mix in three large eel species in their mid stages of growth, housing them in a 1000 gal tank, and what happened is just what I said would happen. That lfs housed together a Giant, green and Tess moray. And what happen was that they attacked each other in turn, leaving bite marks on each of their long bodies. For the same thing there, they all doing find together, but you give it time and you see things to begin to happen.

I not like to brag of anything but there happens to be only two people in all the forums who I know who has some idea to what to expect or knowledge of the species in question. One is myself, and the other happens to be a gentleman who resides in Germany and his name is Marco Lichtenberger, and I also in the private discussions he and I had together can also believe that Dr. Marco Lichtenberger has a certain unknown limited of knowledge greater then my own.

I have over 60 years of knowledge to do with Eels, you do something and pass yourself to be of total knowledge.

if you would read right you would have seen that the big spotted is back in the ocean since a long time already and i just kept it for several days. for your information it was BIG - more than 1,5 ft and it was the most peaceful one ever

I can promise you, that the eel would had changed in another two feet or less in growth .

YouTube - Spotted moray eel

Here is some one who knows what their doing>

YouTube - 75g - Dragon Moray Eel and Damsel Tankmates

Here is something else you should see, I saved the link just so you could believe what you read>
===============================
Spotted Moray Eel feeding frenzy
Posted August 29th, 2008 by jerry van daalen
Not so long ago on a night dive I followed a spotted Moray Eel hunting along the seafloor, the eel came at a stop not far from where a smaller spotted moray was hiding inside some wreckage pieces. The question raised of course was if a spotted moray eel would eat another moray eel and every time the bigger eel made an attempt to get in the smaller would block the entrance by opening it's mouth. I thought I would never get the answer as the divers I was guiding came to have a look at what was going on and disturbed the bigger eel.
A couple of weeks later I did get my answer on a dive in the morning around 11:00 H when I found a spotted Moray eel swimming freely. We followed it and on the other side of this wreckage piece we saw it go over we found it and another spotted eel showed up. This one was a lot smaller. All of a sudden the big one cornered the small one grabbed it and pulled it through a figure eight as they would do with a larger prey. When all this turmoil was going on two other spotted morays appeared and hang around the small eel actually escaped with a big part of its tail bitten of, when the attacker started searching for it biting at everything in it's way it even swam up a diver that was just hovering above the seen. Now another spotted morays showed up and unbelievable the small one came out again to quickly disappear in the wreckage pieces. of the 45 min dive we spent 30 minutes watching all this unfold in front of us. An unforgettable experience.
Jerry van Daalen
Aruba Dutch Caribbean

Here is the link for that story>
Spotted Moray Eel feeding frenzy | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)

i also interact with bigger ones in the ocean and every single moray act the same. im pretty sure you dont spend the time i spend in the ocean with them to know what you are talking about.

Young man, I spent years going driving and my main reason was always that I come into contact with large eel species, I no longer go diving due too my disabilities and it wouldn't have anything to do with my age, for im in my 70`s , your talking it as it was some game.

morays like any fish are way more intellegent as some of you people who never have been in the ocean think. the same a fish learns to eat from the food getting into the aquarium, they dont forget or start to learn to eat when they are free.

That ignorant remark fits yourself with all honesty, And I never look to bash anyone or anything, but your nuts.

one thing i heared here a few times already was that it
is irresponsible to catch them. where the f... you think your aqarium fishes are coming from when you BUY them out of TINY TANKS from dealers? they are cached live as well...

You would heard that in any forum link with members who are responsible in housing any marine life. ;)

my god. the question is who is ignorant here. i provide those animals with the best equipment and food in the tank because i know how they live, move and eat in the ocean and they even get living food as they love it.

You don't really! your doing what your doing as if its some game or something better for you to prove to others that your so full of ****, rather then professional knowledge.

so stop talking sh.t just because you need to say something and go back to your fake aquariums with your fishes and liverocks you bought. you all would LOVE to have the chance to to what i do.

You done nothing else but, in what you just said. And **** "NO" would I do anything like your doing now!!!!

thats what happens if you want to share some cool pics with gringos. freaky american brainwashed people. always have to play the teacher and point their fingers on other ones.

Lord, if you listened to others and taking notes, you would find that you just might learn something, but like the saying goes, when one is a hard head like yours, they learn nothing at all.

If you are such an eel expert as your passing yourself off to be, then explain why a large eel like a Tess or green moray when battling a large (fish) prey to feed, why after minutes into the battle would they release their potential prey? If you say nothing, all will know your just a lot of bull. But dont bother guessing on this as well :bulb:

Good luck to you just the same, I pray one day you will smarting up and do the right thing ;)

PS.
One other thing here young Sir, the hobby is for all, people to enjoy and they do as right as they can for the marine creatures they take home to care for. So do not get personally about it because your mexican and others arent, because it has nothing to do with what your doing. Go post what your doing in Reefcentral, see if anyone in there will agree with your expertise.

Reactions: HN1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom