Startup Equipment Help (especially filter and PS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humu22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am very exited to get back into the hobby after a 12-year hiatus and would appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have. I’m particularly in need of suggestions for filtration and PS. I plan on the tank starting as a FOWLR and developing into a Reef with experience.

Major Equipment:
Tank: 75 gal reef ready (AGA or Oceanic with overflow)
Lighting: CurrentUSA Orbit PC (8 x 96W)
PH: 2 – Maxijet 1200
Heater: 2 – 150W Pro Heat
200 lbs DS from HomeDepot (Southdown)
100+lbs LR

I really like the LifeReef LS1-125 system, but can’t really wait until July/Aug nor can I really afford the $800 price of admission. What would you suggest for a sump system (I think this includes wet/dry systems) that will integrate well with a PS (suggestions?) and pumps to power the works. Quieter is better.

Any thing else major I am forgetting to list?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply. I'm reading the Conscientious Marine Aquarist and probably just need some encouragement that this will work.

First off, Welcom to AquariumAdvice.com :!: :mrgreen:

Your plan look good so far. I would avoid the wet/dry if you plan on eventually moving to a reef (why through the money away?) for your sump I think I would simply find either an old 20 gallon tank or pick up a rubbermaid tub that will fit under your tank stand. Lots of folks use those with no problems at all. Other than that, keep reading and keep posting!

BillyZ

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice.

I have thought about constructing my own sump out of a old tank, but am having some difficulty finding "idiot-proof" plans. Most of the plans I have found have given me the general idea, but the first time around I'd really like to find something that tells me exactly where to drill a hole and what material to use. Know of any plans like that?

If I get the time to draw up a plan from those I've found, would you mind taking a gander?

Thanks again and this is a great forum.

Ken

Humu22,

I have used a "Cheaper" brand of sump and other items. I would suggest that you wait for the LF1-125. It is SO worth the money. Keep in mind that the 800 gets you the protein skimmer "which by the way is the best one I have used" and a pump for the return and the skimmer. You do not get nickel and dimed after you purchase it. I have the Lf1-300 with the VS336 protein skimmer and it was the best $1100 I spent. I know some will say it is pricey but with it all hooked up I get to enjoy my tank more with little maintainance.

I would highly recommend Lifereef products to anybody without hesitation. I am on the list for my calcium reactor and I cant wait to get it as I am sure it will be just as good in quality and function as my other Lifereef products.

OneBowl - Thanks for that link! The best I've found so far.

Toby - Thanks for the LifeReef recommendation. I'm really anxious to get this tank up and running. You have an excellent point on the 800 including the PS and pumps. I've added up the cheaper options and come up with between 650 and 700. I think what I'll do is spend the $30 on a home made sump, pick up or borrow a PS and pump. I may just have to get an order in to LifeReef so I can swap out in August.

Humu,

I ended up getting my system way before it was due. If you put your order in you may get lucky and have a cancellation and get it sooner. The cool part is that you don't get charged until it ships. Jeff at Lifereef has been a pleasure to work with and always gets back to you when you call or email with questions/concerns.

Good luck.

In a 75 gallon tank, 150 lbs of good live rock is the best filtration money can buy. Mechanical filtration cannot hold a candle to biological filtration. The ocean does not have any fancy mechanical filtration on it, but it does have tons of live rock. A good protien skimmer would help to remove waste from the tank also. That way the denitrifing bacteria does not have to work so hard. Thats my best advise. BTW, you starting setup sounds really good.

Back
Top Bottom