Stay Away from Hydor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I was setting up my 150 FOWLER 3 years ago, I bought 2 Hydor Evolution 1050 (1150gph model) circulators to put in the back to prevent dead zones (I have a dual corner overflow). Over the last few months, I've had to restart one of the circulators multiple times. I chalked it up to debris and didn't think anything of it.

Recently, there was a thread on R2R about someone getting shocked by stray current. I realized that I could be a little more responsible so I bought a grounding probe (I installed a GFCI when I put up the tank) and installed it on Thursday. Five minutes after I walked back into the room and noticed my pumps were off. I pressed the reset on the GFCI and it immediately tripped. I have a couple power strips so I isolated which one it was and unplugged all the devices. When I plugged in one of my Hydors the GFCI tripped. With it unplugged it has been ok for 2 days. I bought a stand alone GFCI and an extension cord at Lowes and the same thing happened. I removed the circulator (which I wired up the corner of the overflow!) and I was shocked to find multiple cracks in the motor housing. Now that I look back, was this the reason the pump kept stopping? I have lost 3 dwarf lions suddenly who were healthy and eating 2 days before, anglers as well. My puffer also gets weird scars on his body at times (he's the boss so no picking there). Was there stray current in the water that wasn't being picked up until I installed the grounding probe?

I bought a Vortech MP10QD as a replacement. It is 6 times the price, but it keeps the motor out of the water and seems to be a far superior unit. I am going to start saving my loose change to buy another Vortech because I still have the other Hydor in the water that I don't trust now. It pains me to think that I have been harming my aqua pets for some time (and putting myself in danger) when maintaining the tank.

I will never buy another Hydor product. We buy these things to last years and years, not for 3 years (or who knows when this started) and kaput. This is a big fail for Hydor.When I was setting up my 150 FOWLER 3 years ago, I bought 2 Hydor Evolution 1050 (1150gph model) circulators to put in the back to prevent dead zones (I have a dual corner overflow). Over the last few months, I've had to restart one of the circulators multiple times. I chalked it up to debris and didn't think anything of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160827_190950653.jpg
    IMG_20160827_190950653.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20160827_191004255.jpg
    IMG_20160827_191004255.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom