stem plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyweir

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone I have just got 20 stem plants of ebay and put them in bunches but not sure if this is what you do hears a photo of them and is it ok to have java moss floaten

ForumRunner_20130213_142247.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_142227.jpg

ForumRunner_20130213_142227.jpg

You need to separate the stems and plant each one individually. Plant them to where the leaves are just barely not touching each other though. This will insure that the lower leaves get light and that the water can circulate by them.

I beg to differ. Most stem plants can be bunched. Sure some die off will occur at its lowest point if there isn't adequate lighting but that's natural. My tank consists of 75% stem plants and is heavily planted.

If you notice, there is not one plant that is separated.

Attachments

• image-3379736947.jpg
    image-3379736947.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 85
Ok thanks do you think thay wil grow ok without any kinda of soil as long as theres light and some fertiliser new to this so just tryn new things with my tank

I have a 220g heavily planted tank and the proper way to plant stem plants is as bevoholic stated. This ensures each stem has enough room to grow, recieve light all the way down the stem, and gets water circulation through the stems. Yes you can just put them in a clump but you will have die off which IMO is a waste of plants and money. Also spreading the stems out gives you a larger grouping. When they grow and need clipping you can just clip off the tops (at least a few inches) and replant them as a way to increase your plants. I love stems and the majority of my plants are stem plants. You can view my tank at the link below or on the home page under January Tank of the Month.

Also what type lighting do you have? Lighting is what is the deciding factor of the plants you can use in your tank. Do you have any ferts?

ok so if i separate them and keep them close toghether will thay grow i was looking to put in osmocote in ice but couldnt find it. i have bout a cheaper version of ferts but not sure if it will work its called eazifeed all purpose slow realease plant food. i put it in my tank about a week ago with the plants i bout about a month ago it seams to be working i think if you look at my pictures its the ones at each side of my tank. im new to planted tanks so dont really no what to do i have bin reading alot on hear and on google am just a bit confused lol.
i need new lights as bin useing this ones for a while but i have bin putting lights off every 9 hours is that enough light for them the lights are 2strip lights philips 25 watt.thats all it says on them:thanks:

What size is the tank? Sounds like you have stock lighting that comes with alot of tanks. You have very low light and alot of plants will not grow in such low lighting. Plants for such low light would include Anubia, Java Fern regular and Wendilov, Bolbitus, Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea quadrifolia), and crypts. You might want to consider upgrading to better lights down the road so you can grow a wider variety of plants. As for ferts it would be a good idea to use Seachems Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone (potassium and iron) once weekly after WC's.

my tank is L 3ft 3 and a half b is 2 feet w is 1ft 1 not sure about gallons or letters lol i was looking at lights on ebay that was for growing plants but not sure what to go for

The osmocote tabs are mainly for root feeders. Stems prefer the ferts in the water column. I agree with River and bev, plant them further apart so they grow in to form a "bunch". Your lighting, as River pointed out, may need upgraded if you wish to pursue more demanding stem plants. I'm assuming under the current conditions you will experience some die off and the reds will slowly fade.

Thanks for the advise am gona purchase new lights on ebay I think thay are arcadia 25w one says accentuates reds and blues optimum lights for photosynthesis prmotes plant growth

The other one says
High light output shows the rich greens of plants brightens natural colours of fish encourages plant growth

Do you think these would be ok to use.thanks

cant get a link dont no how to lol but its on ebay and there called 2x acadia 25w 30" fish tank tube lamp tropical and fresh

IMO you need to either look into 2 bulb T5HO fixtures or some of the LED's. LED's can be tricky and you need to talk to someone who is well versed in which ones are suitable for planted tanks and which aren't. Thing is just because a bulb or fixture says it for plants or accentuates colors doesn't mean it's strong enough for plant growth. Now the one that said high output, see if it's a T5HO. Before buying anything I would suggest asking so you don't end up buying a fixture that is equalivant to what you already have, it's an easy beginner mistake to make.

thanks would have never thought of that so t5ho and led lights are best and what wattage would you say was best

You can choose a wattage as all fixtures of a certain lenght use on wattage of bulbs. Example, a T5HO 36" long fixture only uses 39W bulbs. So you buy the fixture that fits your tank.

T8 are the same, they only make a certain wattage for each length bulb. Going out and getting new bulbs won't do anything, you will still have very low light. You need a new fixture and preferably a T5HO if you want to grow more than very low light plants. There are also some good LED fixtures for planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom