sticky new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotropic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased the Marineland/Tetra half-moon 10 gallon aquarium kit yesterday and attempted to set it up last night. Unfortunately the product packaging/signage was taped to the inside of the glass in six places with degrading cellophane tape. The tape film was removed, but in many tiny pieces and I was left with the sticky adhesive residue. I attempted using a straight razor blade to remove the adhesive, but it just seemed to spread it along (as it was also challenging to scrape the curved glass of the half-moon design). Is there a solvent like goo-be-gone that once used can be safely completely removed from the tank so as not to harm my water and fish?:(

what's the tank made of? if it's not glass you may want to be carefull what you use so as not to damage the tank, if it's plastic the wrong chemical may cloud or haze the tank. you could possibly do a test spot on the bottom to be safe, I've always had good luck with zippo lighter fuel, it cuts through the adhesive nicely and evaporates quickly

The tank walls are made of glass and the floor appears to be ABS or some kind of molded plastic. So you think that the lighter fluid would evaporate and leave no residue on the glass.

if it's glass you should be fine, just put the lighter fluid on a paper towel and dab at it, try not to smear it around too much, get the bulk of the adhesive then come back with alittle more fluid on a fresh paper towel and let it dry then maybe run some warm tap water through the tank to rinse

Back
Top Bottom