still new at this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keeptrying

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I tried using a filter sponge and gravel from my old freshwater tank to kick start a new 10 gallon. No such luck. I think I waited too long to set up the new tank, even though I was 'feeding' the bacteria in the old one (about 2 week delay.)

I set up the new tank with plants, but now am questioning if they will slow down the cycling process. Because they're becoming established, I don't want to add ammonia and end up killing them (which could happen anyway.)

Everything reads zero & ph is about 7.4.

Any suggestions about the plant impact on cycling?

If everything is reading zero how do you know that seeding the new tank didn't work? What are you expecting to see?

I recently set up a new tank using some established media from another tank and my fishless cycle took about 3 weeks to complete. Thats a lot better than the typical 2 months it takes to do from scratch.

Plants will love ammonia. Its a nitrogen source that they will consume as a fertiliser.

Plants wont slow down the cycling process. They are part of the nitrogen cycle. They will consume ammonia and so the available food for growing bacteria will be less, and therefore less will grow. But if your plants are consuming ammonia you need less bacteria so it balances out.

the old tank was cycled. it had been running and fine for two years. too small, and the old betta died. time for a new, larger tank! i thought the nitrates be present in the new tank because i'm still feeding the bacteria. no such luck.

Post #1 says you were feeding the bacteria in the old tank, but not adding ammonia in the new tank. Is that correct?

With no ammonia going in there cant be any nitrate coming out.

two days and two micky mouse platys later, everything is still zero. the pair seem perfectly happy still. both males. waiting for nitrates and the plants to grow more. then some tetras & maybe a shrimp. or shrimp, then later a gourami...no need to rush into these decisions!

two days and two micky mouse platys later, everything is still zero. the pair seem perfectly happy still. both males. waiting for nitrates and the plants to grow more. then some tetras & maybe a shrimp. or shrimp, then later a gourami...no need to rush into these decisions!
It could be weeks before you see nitrate.

I would be careful adding tetras to a 10 gallon tank. Tetras are social fish and need to be kept in groups. A 10g tank with a couple of mollys and a sufficiently sized group of tetras might be pushing the capacity of the tank size.

beginning to get some brown algae--too soon to add a snail? all readings still at zero.

API drops for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate. all have expiration dates 8/2025 or later

If you are consistently seeing zero ammonia and nitrite it should be safe to add a little more bioload and continue to monitor.

Back
Top Bottom