Still new with another 10G question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjh33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I wrote a few days ago about my 10G that had two serpae tetras in it and my plans to get a few more. I asked what you all thought about tankmates including the possibility of a dwarf gourami.

Well, I got 3 more tetras and caved and got the gourami too. It didn't work. The tetras beat up on the gourami and each other as well. So I took all of the tetras back today and got 2 julii cories. I plan to get 1 or 2 more of the cories but the store only had 2 right now. One question I had was if I should stick with all julii cories or can I mix a couple juliis with another type of cory like the albino? Also, I was thinking of getting a female dwarf gourami to add as well. So I would end up with:

3-4 cories
1 male dwarf gourami
1 female dwarf gourami

How does this sound or does someone have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

i personally love cories and my uncle has his mixed and they school together....i'm not going to have a cow about breeding because if you dont want to keep the fry you just let them do their own thing....but if you get some surviving fry you have a little bit of room.....there is no BETTER suggestion just a different opion...LOL :D

Sounds okay and I would consider the tank stocked at that point. The only forseeable problem may be the female gourami. I'm not sure about where you live but where I live females are a rarity. I keep two dwarf male gourami's together no problem so if you can't find a female that's an option for you as well. The females aren't sold too often because they are bland in color and noone buys them.

I'm glad we decided to go with the cories. They are cute and a lot of fun to watch.

I've checked to LFS and haven't had any luck finding a female dwarf gourami. Has anyone ordered fish online and had good luck with that?

talloulou~ I've read that keeping 2 male dg in a 10 gal doesn't allow for enough territory and could lead to aggression. What size of tank are yours in? Have you had any problems with aggression? Any tips on picking two ie. should they be the same size, one bigger than the other etc?

Any other thoughts going with two male dg instead of a female and a male?

Thanks!

I keep two males gouramis in a 55 gallon. Not sure if they would be aggressive in a 10 gallon or not.

The male gourami in my 10 terrorizes the female, so you might want to think twice about that. Maybe just the one gourami would be best.

Back
Top Bottom