Still Reading :|

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I ahve been considering setting up a s/w tank and still am. Now money is not a problem so i might start up a small one. I mean small, it will only be a 10 gal. But I think that it could work lol. I am visitng my lfs tomorow so I think that I will discus the matter with them as well, but even any one has any pointers / tips please make them.

My reason for changing is that I already have:

'Planted tank with Discus'
'Semi-aquatic tank with Turtles'
'Fake Planted tank with Cockatoo's'
'Soon to be a Fry Tank'

So that leaves room for another tank, my two options are a coldwater or a s/w. So I will probably go along with the saltwater.

I really wouldn't recommend such a small tank for a beginner. Nanos really need lots of care and attention to detail. If possible, start with something like a 40 gallon.

I agree but if you are dead set on a small tank, then it is doable it just takes consistant maintenance every day. I started with a nano and though it wasn't easy you do figure it out and it can be a beautifull tank. It just takes alot of work.

Hey Steve, congratulations on your decision to jump into the SW area. :wink: But like others, I also strongly recommend that you choose something bigger than 10 gallons. Keep this in mind, the smaller the water volume, the easier and faster it is to get the water parameters out of whack. It WILL require a lot of work to keep the parameters in line. Larger tanks, with larger water volume, are easier to start with because, amongst other things, it takes longer for the parameters to change. Have fun! :mrgreen:

8)

Go with a 29 or 30 gal tank. It's not too overly expenisve and with a 20 gal sump you're getting almost 50 gallon.

Well thank you for all the input, You guys said exactly what I thought use would lol, I know it is harder a smaller tank but I do not know if I will like the s/w world so I dont see the point is setting up a large tank just to loose $$$ lol were I can try it with a small tank. Regarding the attention - It is a tank which is in my bedroom so it will get attention on a daily basis, when use say attention what do you mean - like water changes, testing saltlevels or general testing like ammonia etc ....

Steven_Askham said:
when use say attention what do you mean - like water changes, testing saltlevels or general testing like ammonia etc ....

With a tank that small keeping it topped off all the time is going to be the main concern so your sg levels don’t differ so wildly. Once it’s cycled keeping the nh3, no2, & no3 down should be fairly easy as long as you don’t overstock your tank. If you are dead set on such a small tank I’d recommend doing bi-weekly water changes of 10% each time so you don’t affect the ph or sg too much. You can mix up a 5 gal batch of sw and just re-aerate it before using each time.

I just hope that you’re not too frustrated by keeping a nano tank and give up on sw completely. That’s the main reason why most recommended a 29 gal or larger for the beginner sw tank.

I started with a 10g tank as my first ever SW tank. Its really not that bad if you do the maintance regularly. I keep 3 milk jugs of water by the tank. Every day when I come home from classes I top off the water. Then once every 2 weeks I do a partial water change. I have had very good luck with the tank so far. Only had problems with fish wanting to go carpet surfing all the time lol.

yeah I also started with a 10 gallon and the only concern is evaporation.

The only thing I can really suggest is of course read up on it a lot and ask a lot of questions.

10 gallons are almost the same as maintaining a bigger tank except things change a little bit faster and your more limited in what you can keep.

regarding eveaporation, I know it will still occur but I have noticed it is not that bad in this tank as there is a cover over the tank and then a hood. So ther eare not amny caps for the water to escape or fish/inverts also in that case lol.

Back
Top Bottom