Stinking ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have only Cardinal Tetras and a Clown Pleco in the tank, so I can't use any harsh treatments. I've had the tank in the upper 80's for a week and a half, and on close inspection, there are still a lot tetras with spots.

So what on earth do I need to do? They seem to be okay around the 90F mark (and I had to buy a second heater to get it there) but I don't know what else to do. Everyone's still swimming and eating well.

Heat speeds up the life cycle of ich... so if your fish are still otherwise healthy, keep at it. It won't kill the ich parasite until a certain stage. :)

90 is well within the range (my understanding is 87 and above). Takes time though. You want to kill them in their free swimming stage as well so keep the temp up for 2-3 weeks after the last spots are seen.

Remember to keep an eye on your aeration. Higher temp hold less dissolved oxygen and 90 is up there

If heat is not working, There has been recent studies that have found heat resistant strains of Ich, I recommend Ich-Attack by Kordon. It is all natural, works well and is safe for all your tanks inhabitants including your beneficial bacteria.

Good grief, I still have some with spots and temp has been up for a month. Not many, but a few. With the Cardinals, it's hard to tell one from another, so who's got new spots and who doesn't is another story. Maybe it's not even ich. The tank definitely had ich before. The fish occasionally still seem like they're scratching themselves on the driftwood. The spots aren't real common (one on a fin here and there). Am I confusing ich with something else?

Would love to get a picture, but have you ever tried to focus a camera on a fish that small and darty with no flash? Yeesh.

I have an Ich issue I just learned about 10 minutes ago from a red tail shark I just purchased from the fish store. I had no Quarantine tank to put him in and should have just looked at him before I introduced him. I've been reading up on it and there is a link on this forum for several cures. If you still think you have it try the salt method along with the high temps. The post shows salt levels 2-3ppm will dehydrate and kill ich as well. Just make sure you don't have anything in your tank that cant handle the salt. It DOES say certain types of tetras can't handle higher levels of salt. Make sure you read the post under freshwater/brackish unhealthy fish (top thread) to make sure you have the details that I'm not explaining here. GOOD LUCK

Personally I use medicine for it. I've had to many bad experiences with the heat treatment and such. Medicine cures it in a matter of a couple of days and has had no effect on my fish for what I can see.

I have ick in my tank right now too. I bought jungle ick guard 2. It's made for sensitive scaleless fish. I'm on day 4 of treatment along with higher temperature and most of the ick is gone. Some of my tetras were pretty covered with it. I wasn't sure they would make it so I guess this stuff works pretty well. I was afraid to use the heavy duty stuff as I have cory cats and a BN pleco. Good luck!

If heat is not working, There has been recent studies that have found heat resistant strains of Ich, I recommend Ich-Attack by Kordon. It is all natural, works well and is safe for all your tanks inhabitants including your beneficial bacteria.

You didn't warn me about the smell!!! :shock: Hooo wee!

6 weeks later and I still have ich. Temp is still 88+ (two thermometers in different spots. Still using Kordon Ich-Attack and Aquari-Sol).

Lost a couple Cardinals this week. They didn't look to be as affected as a couple other Cardinals. The Columbian Tetras have somehow avoided the ich, or so it appears.

What on earth is going on? I kept Cardinals in the same tank for 5 years with no issues. Now I can't keep the ich out. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom