stir gravel and skimmer poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaruim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I know alot of the healthy bacteria grows and lives in and on the gravel and vacuuming it isn't a really good idea. What do all of you think if I were to stir the gravel up so the poop and possible left over food and whatever else is settled there gets stirred up into the water column and I get a fine mesh net to skimmer it out? Is there anything wrong about cleaning the substrate/gravel in that manner? Thanks

Last edited:
Seems like more work than needed. Maybe even not proficient?? You can do a light gravel vac of the surface of the gravel once a week. Get down about a half inch or so into the gravel. Vac the entire substrate. Don't go all the way to the bottom. Twice a year you can do a deep gravel vac. Do 1/3 of the tank one week then 1/3 of the tank the next week and so on until it's cleaned entirely.

Hello I know alot of the healthy bacteria grows and lives in and on the gravel and vacuuming it isn't a really good idea. What do all of you think if I were to stir the gravel up so the poop and possible left over food and whatever else is settled there gets stirred up into the water column and I get a fine mesh net to skimmer it out? Is there anything wrong about cleaning the substrate/gravel in that manner? Thanks
Hello, there is some bb in gravel but the lions share is in your filter media(pad & bio sponge or grid). If worried of over cleaning do half one wk then the other half the next. If you don't clean gravel your yank may start to smell + it looks better. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom