Stock for a 8g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OP is your 8g a cube? Depending on the dimensions a lot nano fish would be ok in 8g, preferably in a longer tank though.

Scarlet badis
Micro/dwarf rasboras
Clown killies
Celestial pearl danios
Ember tetras
Sparkling gourami
Spotted blue eye rainbow fish

Not all of these might necessarily work but these are some options worth researching.

OP is your 8g a cube? Depending on the dimensions a lot nano fish would be ok in 8g, preferably in a longer tank though.

Scarlet badis
Micro/dwarf rasboras
Clown killies
Celestial pearl danios
Ember tetras
Sparkling gourami

Not all of these might necessarily work but these are some options worth researching.

Yeah the dimensions are 12"L 12"W 12.6"H
Thanks for the list, if anymore fish come to mind let me know :)

You could make a guppy tank. If aquascaped properly guppy tanks look so nice! if you wanted you could even turn it into a breeder. some people don't like doing that because they think fry are hard to care for. Not in the case of guppies, in the worse case they become food for the adults. I have a spare ten gallon I was thinking of doing that in and trying my first attempt at a planted tank while I'm at it.

Ok, the platy and Molly in a 5 gal thing was before I knew what I was doing, I was just stating my experience.
The problem isn't that you stated your experience, it's that you framed it as a proper recommendation. If you had said something like, "I kept these fish in a 5 gallon for about a year but I'm not sure it was a good idea" it would have been received differently. ;)

From my experience danios need something over 20 g (20 g long would probably be a good option). I didn't have luck with them in my 15 g and was told it was too small so I ended up taking them back. I'm not sure about sparkling gouramis I would have to look that one up.

To answer you about a drawf puffer, I think they have a huge bio-load and are messy eaters. Most people keep them in a 20 g or more although I've heard about one being kept in a 10 g (not sure if that is suggested though). They are also brackish fish.
Celestial pearl danios certainly don't need a 20 gallon. They're very small and shy, though, and there are other nano species such as Boraras merah (and other species in the genus Boraras), Danio erythromicron, Hyphessobrycon amandae, etc. that also stay quite small, are typically easier to keep, and typically more active and less shy than CPD.

Sparkling gouramis would do fine in this setup.

I totally agree with you about DP being messy eaters. What I didn't realize before I brought some into my fishroom is that they will often leave half eaten snails laying around in your tank. That's a recipe for some pretty wonky water quality so I would say that DP would probably require more frequent attention (removing uneaten food daily) than your other options. Carinotetraodon travancoricus is strictly freshwater.

Scarlet badis
Micro/dwarf rasboras
Clown killies
Celestial pearl danios
Ember tetras
Sparkling gourami

Nice list. I would probably leave out spotted blue eye, assuming this is Pseudomugil signifer or gertrudae. I haven't kept signifer but they appear very similar to gertrudae, which I've kept many times, and I'd personally recommend a tank larger than 10 gallons for them.

If you like killifish, there are some other species that stay small you can look into, like Fundulopanchax gardneri (and other species in the genus), Aphyosemion australe, etc.

I keep trying to post this and it says msg is too short lol
Yeah I already have DP in a different 8g cube, so I don't want more of them. As much as I love them aha, hoping I have a female or 2 and they will breed. I'm really liking the sparkling gouramis so far, not sure I wanna do killifish cause I've heard most killifish have a short life span and are notorious jumpers, but they sure are beautiful fish.

Going to try and throw together a list of fish that I like and see which my LFS can order, so keep putting out suggestions people!

Also to the comment on floating plants, I'm assuming covering the entire top with plants would lower par significantly at the substrate would it not? I also had quite a few of floating plants when my betta was in there and he still found a spot to jump :(

Ahh there it goes :s

I've read that sparkling gouramis are predator fish and will stalk and hunt prey, like shrimp, some shrimp even close to the same size as them. Anyone had them and seen this behaviour before?

You could make a guppy tank. If aquascaped properly guppy tanks look so nice! if you wanted you could even turn it into a breeder. some people don't like doing that because they think fry are hard to care for. Not in the case of guppies, in the worse case they become food for the adults. I have a spare ten gallon I was thinking of doing that in and trying my first attempt at a planted tank while I'm at it.

But than what do I do with all the fry if they grow up? I don't have space for that. Are they at all nutritious as fry? I could always attempt to feed them tot he fish in my 20g or possibly my dwarf puffers, though I dunno how small fry are so dunno if DPs could fit them in their little mouths.

Back
Top Bottom