stock list for a 75 gallon-what works best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcinek101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank with 90lbs of live rock and 70lbs of live sand mixed in with 20lbs of dead sand. The tank has the following fish and i have a list of the different species that i would want to add. The tank has 1 diamond goby-hides in rock work
1 algae blenny
1 bi color blenny
12 nassarious snails
12 bumblee snails
4 turbo snails
10 hermit crabs
1 emerald crab
1 porcelain crab
6 astrea snails

I would like to add the fish from the following list-
flame angel
coral beauty
blue tang
scotts fairy wrasse
jawfish
flamehawk
ocellaris clown fish
neon pseudochromis

the corals and inverts that i am thinking of adding are
polyps
mushrooms
bulb anemone
tuxedo urchin
cleaner shrimp or cleaner wrasse

i have heard that the angels dont like each other. I am also open to suggestions as all of the fish i have now just hide. The diamond goby is busy moving sand behind my rock work, but doesn't come out much. The algae blenny is out on his perch, as is the bicolor. I would like to add more fish that swim, and live in the middle of the tank. I tried a cleaner shrimp but after being dripped he went into the tank and appears to have had a heart attack. He only lasted about 30 min. Filtration includes a remora pro c skimmer, 2 fluval 305's, 2 koralia 1 powerheads-with a koralia 3 to be added in a week. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Well if you want corals, the angels are a hit and miss case... they might find your corals tasty...or they might not.
The blue tang gets to larg at adult form (a foot long) for a '4 tank..
scotts fairy wrasse I think would be an awesome addition though :)
jawfish would be fine as long as you have a deep sand bed and all your rock work is sturdy... we dont want them to burrow under the rock and make all of it fall and kill the fish :(
flame hawkfish are prone to eating inverts...
the clown would be fine... I would even put a pair in their!
and the pseudochromis are "usually" to aggressive... but you can try them.
Maybe some fish like...
Six line wrasse
royal gramma
bangaii cardinal
chromis
fire fish
im drawing blanks here but their are a lot more you can add.

I would not do a cleaner wrasse, they usually do not do to well in captivity because their natural source of food is parasites etc. and it is not often you get one to eat anything other
what lighting do you have? It will have to be pretty strong in order to have a bulb anemone

the cleaner prob. died of shock. how long did you drip him?

Hope this helps!

If you plan on getting the blue tang I would suggest QT him so as to keep a close eye on him. They what we call ick magnets and you need to make sure he did not pick any up at the LFS. As far as the cleaner wrasse they dont last long IME. Never had one live longer that 4 months. Even my LFS says they are for short term and not long term for your tank. If you plan on corals in this tank then angels will not be a good idea. If they decide to munch your corals then you`ll have to remove everything to catch them and get them out. I hope all goes well with your tank and we do expect pics once it`s up and going. LOL

There is a good chance the two angels will end up fighting. They do just not get along within species. As mentioned, if you plan on corals they are NOT reef safe anyways. Might be two to skip. What species of "blue tang". Do you mean blue hippo or powder blue? Either way, they are both very difficult to keep healthy. The rest of the list looks pretty good.

Scotts Fairys are not a cheap fish so I would add him after the tank is stable..
The wrasse, jawfish , pseudochromis and hawk are jumpers do you have a canopy?
My Scotts jumped out of my 125 through a 1.5" gap in the canopy..

Also the jawfish can be skittish so with the list of fast fish you may want to pass on that one.

i have a canopy, any other suggestion of fish or invert species would be great. I prefer fish and inverts over coral so if i have to pass on the coral then so be it.

Back
Top Bottom