Stock my 30 gallon reef Nano cube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrightyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
This tank is two years old and has been through a lot. From ich, velvet, and sea cucumbers we have seen a lot. Well my last fish died a bit ago and I'm ready to start a new legacy. I currently have a fire shrimp, a few hermits, one nassarius snail, and two snails (turbo and astrea). I also have one pulsating xenia. This tank has a bit if an algae problem and I'm working on it but I want to hear what you would put in it. How you would make it pretty. So I'm open to anything as long as I can keep it in my tank (no lionfish or making it a fowlr). So please please comment! I'll tell you by desicion! I'm down for one fish and a bunch of coral or vice versa. ?? Thanks for your comments!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I usually like to stock my SW with smaller fish, though in actuality I've only ever had a nano. Anyway, I would go with a wrasse of some sort. I prefer a 6 line as they are colorful and quite active but with a tank as large as yours, you could really get one larger then that species. Live aquaria should be helpful with that idea I think :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
I know many fish I could put in there, but I want other people's inputs

as for coral it all depends on what kind of lighting you have ,
for fish maybe a few of these remember in a 30g you only have so much room for fish 5 or 6 fish that stay rather small tops
clown , 6 line wrasse , pajama cardinal , fire fish (goby) , sand sifting goby , avoid a basslet , or royal grammar if you get a wrasse , avoid damsels all together they are just little demons

I have white LEDS. I know what fish I can put it in there. I am looking for a specific stocking with specific inhabits (i.e. 1 ocellaris clownfish, 1 firefish, 2 green chromis and carpet anemone and blastomussa) I care more for fish in there, but I always like coral suggestions. I want a specific tank thats all

Well, what you are describing are lighting that won't support anything photosynthetic, to include anemone.
But when it comes to stocking, you'll want to stick with nano fish. It will all vary on what you are looking for in the tank for any type of recommendations. I think every tank should have a clown pair in it if it is above 30. You could easily get away with a chalk bass, a watchman goby, and another fish, like the firefish you described earlier.
That said, you will want to go VERY slowly with adding the fish back into the system as the bacteria base will be very low with the tank only having inverts remaining in it.

OK for what? There is a great amount of difference between simply lighting the tank and the intense lighting needed for anemone and sps corals.

well considering you told them that they need more light for corals and anemones, I'm going to assume they mean would it be OK for coral/anemones. :rolleyes:

The light in question, assuming the OP's tank would use the 30" model, provides 48 watts/ 10,000 K white/420nm blue via 2 T5HO bulbs.
so a pretty standard HO T5.

so sniper, do you think that light would suffice?

FrightyDog, it would help if you stated the tank dimensions, especially how deep it is.

A 2 bulb t5 isn't going to be enough for nems, I'd want a 6 bulb unit minimum depending on tank height.

And it's hard to pick a stock list for someone else's tank, we don't know what kind of fish or corals your interested in. But I think a pair of occys, a possum wrasse (yellow banded or tanakas) or pink streaked wrasse, a hi fin or yasha goby with a Randall's pistol shrimp, and a green clown goby sounds like a good stock imo.

2 bulb unit won't cut it for an anemone. The 30 is basically a taller 20 if I remember correctly and that would put it on the same height as my old 36. I had a 4 bulb t5ho and wasn't able to keep an anemone and even some Lps. So, I'd want either a 6 bulb or simply get one of the cheap Chinese panels for the tank.

And it's hard to pick a stock list for someone else's tank, we don't know what kind of fish or corals your interested in. But I think a pair of occys, a possum wrasse (yellow banded or tanakas) or pink streaked wrasse, a hi fin or yasha goby with a Randall's pistol shrimp, and a green clown goby sounds like a good stock imo.

See, I like that. I'll look into that stocking :) thank you

As to the lighting, I'll look for a 6 bulb one, any recommendations? . Also my dimensions are Height: 24 in
width: 23.9 in
depth: 23.9 in

Stay away from the coralife units. The one I had took an odd size bulb so you can only put theirs in.
If you look up reef led or taotronics on amazon you'll find their panel to be the cheapest option, as they cover 2 ft if tank. Just have to hang it.

Back
Top Bottom