stock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
i didnt really get the chance to "cycle" my tank cuz i didnt kno until after i got my fish
so i was wondering after i get my new filter hood and heater and cycling my tank (ive been using drinking water to keep ph down and alkanity and that stuff and that ammonia away stuff (forgot name of it)
im thinking of having 2 dwarf gouramis maybe a pleco (i have 1 but i may get rid of it when it gets 2 big) and i was wondering if i could have any other fish in the 10 gallon without really pushing it (a school preferably)

I'm not a big fan of plecos. They look cool, but they only eat algae when young, they get freakin' huge, and they pretty much hide all day.
Consider one bristlenose catfish, 2-3 otos, or 2-3 corydoras.

A school (4-5) of neon tetras, cardinal tetras, or harlequin rasboras would be a nice addition. They're colorful and they all stay small (1 in).

Welcome!

Smaller danios like zebras might be fun, they are really active, chase each other all the time. You might also look for yoyo loaches to replace a pleco or catfish. They are also very active and do a good job cleaning up extra food. Not very good at algae tho :D I rely on my mag-float for that these days.

u think the neons and the loaches can fit in my 10 and 5 cuz ill have 2 gouramis (and i think im getting rid of my pleco)

Neons, yes they stay under one inch. I don't know how big yoyos get. I do know that clown loaches get to be 12 inches, but it takes several years.

i was wondering how many zebras and neons i could fit in my tank (can neons and zebras creat one school) without intruding my gouramis privacy

In my past experience it is not good to put any plecos in a young tank simply because there will be nothing for them to eat. You can feed them allege wafers but it is best to do it when the lights are off. A small school of tetras would probably make good tank mates.

Clown loaches rarely grow larger than 8inches in an aquarium environment, or so my research suggests. Ironically, dojo loaches (Which most stores advertise as an 8in fish) tends to grow to 12in in an aquarium, and can reach nearly two feet in the wild. Both fish can live 10-15 years though, so are a great investment (Especially since they aren't expensive). But, we're talking a 10 gallon, which is definately not suitable for either.

i wish my dad would let me get like a 35 gallon
i saw 1 in the paper for 125$ but even though its a great deal he still wont go for it so i had 2 settle with the 10 gallon for 20$ which is still a great deal but still i want sum loaches

Enki said:
Shop garage sales and the classified ads, you can find used tanks for super cheap. :)
Yeah, all the newbies who don't know about AquariumAdvice.com eventually get frustrated and sell their tanks cheap. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom